STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I am scared of Life.

Samantha.McGraw
When you hear the question “What are you scared of?” most people think of the stereotypical fears such as spiders, snakes, and ghosts. But, if you really take the time to think about this question, you can find that there are much deeper, philosophical, and thought-filled answers. I’ve taken the time to really think this question through, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m scared of Life. By that I don’t mean living things scare me, it means I am scared of what it does to people.
Throughout your life you are faced with a multitude of difficulties, including the general things such as bills, school, social lives, and any responsibilities that may seem impossible, but underneath that surface of generality there are the difficulties you have that you hide from people, and sometimes, even try to hide from yourself. These are caused by Life, the people in it, and the situations Life puts you in, and once you are finally used to them, Life then proceeds to spit you out of. Life is cruel that way.
The underlying issues that no one wants to face are the ones that plague many people of my age. These are the depression, the angst, the teasing, the bullying, and above all, the occasional, or even perpetual, self-hatred. These feelings that cause the coldness of your soul and the eventual hardening of your heart to stone, these emotions that turn even the sweetest child in the most bitter of people, these torments that litter your skin and your heart with scars cut deep are why I fear life, because with the beautiful lie that life is, it is always pushing you slowly, most times without your knowing, to your inevitable death.
That’s another thing, most people fear death, they fear what might happen after death. I understand why there‘s that fear, and yes it’s a scary thing, because while life may be a beautiful lie, death is a horrible truth. The truth scares people, and the lies comfort, but there comes a time when the lies aren’t comforting anymore. In fact they can even make it worse. This is because of the simple fact that once you know the truth, you know the lies are just that, only lies. You try to tell yourself that the lies are true, that they are right and comforting, but in that you just end up lying to yourself, driving your thoughts deeper and deeper into the abyss that is now your heart. They make the truth even more evident to the point where the only option is to accept the truth and attempt to eventually move on.
So yes, I fear life, but in total reality, we all do. You may not know it, and you may not want to accept it if you do realize that fact, but deep down all of us know that life contains all of the things that truly make us hurt and scared. That’s why I’m afraid of life.
Rate this:
Comment by Marii24

my thinking is similar.
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2013 3:58:24 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy