STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I am scared of running at night.

laurenaeda
I love the idea of walking at night, it’s meant to be peaceful. My neighborhood isn’t suburban but it’s not quite ghetto; the best way to describe it is that no white picket fences exist for miles. Chain-linked fences are popular in the streets surrounding my house, and so are homeless people. At night, there aren’t any kids speeding around on skateboards, and there are hardly any men walking around around as if they’re about to make a drug deal.
On summer nights, I ran around the park for a few miles. I started going north, and I ran past the pool attached to the park. It was covered with blue tarp, shining with the streetlamps’ yellow reflection.
After I huffed past the pool, I made a right and went past the baseball field. I saw a few dog-walkers with their dogs, playing with tennis balls. None of them bothered to say hello after I managed a smile, they stared back with tired eyes that said, “It is 9:00 and I am picking up dog poop, don’t look at me.” The dog-walkers’ hostile glares should’ve been an omen that this wasn’t going to be the most pleasant run.
Even though the omen stared me right in the face, I swerved left to run the longest portion of the park; down the dirt field. A whole soccer club practiced there, and their friends watched, standing by their leased BMWs and chain-smoking (even though that’s against the law in my city).
These men with their five o’clock shadow bluntly stared at me. I weaved through the crowds of them, and they turned their heads as I went by, deep frowns etched into their faces. I could’ve drawn a dark cloud over their heads and captioned them, “How dare this teenager interrupt me?” I was a distraction to them, an unnecessary factor to their night. Nothing was terrifying about them, besides the fact that I was inhaling lung cancer while I ran past them.
I escaped the puffs of smoke and turned past the dumpsters and the kindergarten play area. Yards away from the kindergarten playground was a small indention for benches and trees planted in the pavement. I wasn’t thinking of the benches or who could possibly be sitting on them, I felt so done with the run that I decided to saunter past it. I pulled my headphones off and my steps slowed to a shuffle equivalent to my grandma’s, I was staring down at my phone’s glowing screen to check the time. 9:15.
“Why’d you stop running? Feeling sick? Wanna sit down?” I heard a voice in the dark say. I heard myself yelp out a profanity and I almost tripped over my burning feet. My eyes searched for the source of the voice, and I saw a homeless man standing behind a cart filled with recyclables, wearing layers of dirty sweaters and raggedy sneakers. “No thanks, bye!” my voice managed to screech, and I sprinted back home.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy