STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I am scared of nothing--not anymore.

cellobear
Perhaps I have gotten too old. The prospect of monsters lurking under the bed and hiding in the closet elicits no more chills from me anymore. Nightmares, I know now, are works of fiction; I no longer have to keep the lights on to sleep safely. Insects are difficult little creatures to get along with, but they are manageable. I don’t panic anymore when I leave my homework at home—I've learned to look forward to the future, and not place so much weight on the past and the present. Yet there was a time long ago when I knew fear.
I used to be scared of almost everything around me. Even worms, slithering on sidewalks, intimidated me. On rainy days, I was compelled to shine a light on the slimy creatures so that I wouldn't have to feel them squishing under my boots. Someone once told me that worms had five hearts, and that I would have to chop a worm in half multiple times before the pieces stopped moving. I never tested out this theory, nor did I ever feel a desire to. There was also a time when I took a bite out of a pear to see a worm wriggling in a hole exposed by the chunk I had bitten off. Needless to say, I spit the pear out immediately.
Black widows were the worst. Those tiny black dots could kill you. I didn't want to die. I still don’t. Getting up close and personal with spiders was just not my style. I found a spider crawling through my hair once, had a tiny panic attack, and flung it away somewhere. I still don’t know where it is. Now, when I see a spider, I squish it. I am not so compassionate as to tenderly carry it outside and lay it on the grass where it could potentially find its way into my hair again.
A more intangible situation was once one of my greatest fears. Grades. School. Expectations run high when a student excels, especially if that student excels at excelling. A mere point lower than the student’s norm results in speechless shock on the part of others, followed all too soon by a lengthy you-could-do-better speech. I like to think that I can improvise an absolutely wonderful rebuttal now. I've had a lot of practice.
Has my mind dulled? Have I ceased to identify danger? Perhaps I have simply gotten adept at ignoring my fears over the years. Spiders and worms are dislikeable, but I no longer cross to the other side of the street to avoid them. I confront them, and our brief encounter commonly ends with their demise (the spiders, not the worms; worms are still too difficult to annihilate). Less-than-exemplary scores do not hold so much weight with me anymore. I take the criticism; I revel in it. I can out-talk you in any subject you please. Fear is a silly little creature that I can keep well at bay.
Rate this:
Comment by sullibay

This is fantastic.
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2013 8:34:21 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy