I am scared of nothing--not anymore.

cellobear
Perhaps I have gotten too old. The prospect of monsters lurking under the bed and hiding in the closet elicits no more chills from me anymore. Nightmares, I know now, are works of fiction; I no longer have to keep the lights on to sleep safely. Insects are difficult little creatures to get along with, but they are manageable. I don’t panic anymore when I leave my homework at home—I've learned to look forward to the future, and not place so much weight on the past and the present. Yet there was a time long ago when I knew fear.
I used to be scared of almost everything around me. Even worms, slithering on sidewalks, intimidated me. On rainy days, I was compelled to shine a light on the slimy creatures so that I wouldn't have to feel them squishing under my boots. Someone once told me that worms had five hearts, and that I would have to chop a worm in half multiple times before the pieces stopped moving. I never tested out this theory, nor did I ever feel a desire to. There was also a time when I took a bite out of a pear to see a worm wriggling in a hole exposed by the chunk I had bitten off. Needless to say, I spit the pear out immediately.
Black widows were the worst. Those tiny black dots could kill you. I didn't want to die. I still don’t. Getting up close and personal with spiders was just not my style. I found a spider crawling through my hair once, had a tiny panic attack, and flung it away somewhere. I still don’t know where it is. Now, when I see a spider, I squish it. I am not so compassionate as to tenderly carry it outside and lay it on the grass where it could potentially find its way into my hair again.
A more intangible situation was once one of my greatest fears. Grades. School. Expectations run high when a student excels, especially if that student excels at excelling. A mere point lower than the student’s norm results in speechless shock on the part of others, followed all too soon by a lengthy you-could-do-better speech. I like to think that I can improvise an absolutely wonderful rebuttal now. I've had a lot of practice.
Has my mind dulled? Have I ceased to identify danger? Perhaps I have simply gotten adept at ignoring my fears over the years. Spiders and worms are dislikeable, but I no longer cross to the other side of the street to avoid them. I confront them, and our brief encounter commonly ends with their demise (the spiders, not the worms; worms are still too difficult to annihilate). Less-than-exemplary scores do not hold so much weight with me anymore. I take the criticism; I revel in it. I can out-talk you in any subject you please. Fear is a silly little creature that I can keep well at bay.
Comment by sullibay

This is fantastic.
Posted: Monday, November 4, 2013 8:34:21 PM