STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I am Scared of the Child who Breathed His Last

That Ulzzang Girl
That boy died in front of me.

It happened one late summer afternoon when a kid like me took a break from those tiring street games. While walking home, I was contently eating my biscuits that I’ve bought when I saw this frail lad, maybe the same age as me, smeared with dirt and dressed in tattered clothes, lying on the sidewalk just across where I was strolling. He was just like any Filipino kid, eyes devoid with light, hair as black as coal, and skin enveloped with bronze.

He was struggling for life that keeps on escaping from his every breath. I stopped taking my pace. My eyes locked with his. It was as if I was the one torturing him with every bite of my biscuits. I imagined his flesh and blood crushed between my teeth. It was a dreadful picture of reality. He was clenching his fist and beads of sweat trickled down his face. A few minutes later, his chest stopped pounding. Just then I realized, it was one of those usual yet sad episodes of nature, death.

After eight years, that memory still keeps on hunting me. I had the chance to at least call for help or comfort him in any way I can, yet there I was! Refusing to leave my comfort zone, standing still while feeding myself like a glutton while watching him die as if all of it was just part of a film. Right in front of me I was observing a fellow child bear his pain and suffering alone.

Whatever the cause of his unfortunate fate I still don’t know. Now, every time I see street children begging or children suffering from severe malnutrition, sickness, and abuse, out of the blue that boy’s face would always pop out of nowhere. For me he has become the symbol of what the young generation is like when in misery due to the world’s cruelty.

I had a little research and found out that the estimated number of childhood deaths just in 2010 was 7.6 million. How much more will be the deaths in the previous and upcoming years? With this fact in hand, I realized how fortunate I am, yet at the same time I felt the shame of not being able to share, of not being able to appreciate what I have while others have none.

I was a fool, or maybe I was just scared. Scared of being seen helping a street kid, scared of being embarrassed, scared of being infected of his icky microbes, and maybe I was also scared to accept the fact that we will all die. It’s just a matter of time.

The one that creeps me out today is the thought that what if we meet again? How will I face him? Now I know what I’m really frightened of. I am scared of the child who breathed his last.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your FEAR essay being chosen as 1 of our 10 essays in the running for 1st place in this month’s writing competition. This is a huge accomplishment since we received over 160 essays this month. Please feel free to share your “runner up” status with the world.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners. If you are selected as the winner of this month’s competition, we will contact you directly via the email you used for registration.

In the meantime, you can view all the results by clicking on this link: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/WhatScaresTeens.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World, One Story at a Time”

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:49:34 PM
Rate this:
Comment by NicoleLVMullis

This is a tough story honestly told. Great writing.

Nicole L.V. Mullis
Raising a Family Editor
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 4:27:29 PM
Rate this:
Comment by That Ulzzang Girl

Hey um can I ask a certificate of recognition or participation on this contest please? I need it for my academics. Pretty please?? I just need some proof that I indeed got even the 4th place. Anyway thanks, more power and God bless. I hope more students will get inspired to write stories.
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:51:31 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy