I am scared of driving

cannonsquirrel
Phobias come in many different varieties and genres. For some, it consists jumping at the sight of any small animal such as a mouse or spider, for others, it takes a huge monster in some movie to frighten them. Still other people claim to have no fears, until they experience a roller coaster zero-gravity drop off. Finally, some people have their own unique fears, such as hearing the other-worldly, skin-chilling scrape of a fork on someone’s teeth. But my own fear is quite different from any of these. Unlike the previous extraordinary circumstances that people might fear, mine is quite quotidian, or at least will be once I receive my Driver’s permit.
I am currently preparing to receive my permit, something which I look forward to having, and using – with a little bit of practice. So far, the one thing that frightens me is entering a highway from a ramp. Will I have room to merge with the traffic? Will I be ticketed for maladroit visual acuity, which is necessary to judge if I can merge? Or will I just cross my fingers and accelerate onto the highway, hoping against hope that my fate is not that of many maudlin drivers who have gone before me? These are the questions that haunt my mind as I study, take Driver’s Ed tests, and study some guidelines some more. I encourage myself, saying that my mom does it several times a day and never crashes, but can I? Lately, whenever our vehicle enters the interstate highway, I watch to see I can pick up on techniques she uses. Since she drives me around so much, giving me an opportunity to follow her skills, she is my driving paragon, refulgent in all the qualities it takes to be a responsible driver. I’m trying hard to be a toward student.
For me, this will be a great opportunity to amenably learn something new: how to intelligently drive safely and not turn and push the pedals whenever I receive a visceral feeling to do so. Fortunately my fear, unlike many others, is not incorrigible but can and will be mended with time, practice, and experience. Soon I will be seated in the driver’s seat maneuvering with aplomb, even at the apex of danger. A great relief for me is that luckily, I am brave enough to face my fear. With most people, that is not the case. Oftentimes, the first facing of one’s fear is enough to eliminate any future timidity related to that previous phobia. Ask any psychiatrist, and they’ll confirm that statement. In hypnosis, fears can be mollified. I count on disparaging my own phobia, when I face the highway!