STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I am scared of driving

cannonsquirrel
Phobias come in many different varieties and genres. For some, it consists jumping at the sight of any small animal such as a mouse or spider, for others, it takes a huge monster in some movie to frighten them. Still other people claim to have no fears, until they experience a roller coaster zero-gravity drop off. Finally, some people have their own unique fears, such as hearing the other-worldly, skin-chilling scrape of a fork on someone’s teeth. But my own fear is quite different from any of these. Unlike the previous extraordinary circumstances that people might fear, mine is quite quotidian, or at least will be once I receive my Driver’s permit.
I am currently preparing to receive my permit, something which I look forward to having, and using – with a little bit of practice. So far, the one thing that frightens me is entering a highway from a ramp. Will I have room to merge with the traffic? Will I be ticketed for maladroit visual acuity, which is necessary to judge if I can merge? Or will I just cross my fingers and accelerate onto the highway, hoping against hope that my fate is not that of many maudlin drivers who have gone before me? These are the questions that haunt my mind as I study, take Driver’s Ed tests, and study some guidelines some more. I encourage myself, saying that my mom does it several times a day and never crashes, but can I? Lately, whenever our vehicle enters the interstate highway, I watch to see I can pick up on techniques she uses. Since she drives me around so much, giving me an opportunity to follow her skills, she is my driving paragon, refulgent in all the qualities it takes to be a responsible driver. I’m trying hard to be a toward student.
For me, this will be a great opportunity to amenably learn something new: how to intelligently drive safely and not turn and push the pedals whenever I receive a visceral feeling to do so. Fortunately my fear, unlike many others, is not incorrigible but can and will be mended with time, practice, and experience. Soon I will be seated in the driver’s seat maneuvering with aplomb, even at the apex of danger. A great relief for me is that luckily, I am brave enough to face my fear. With most people, that is not the case. Oftentimes, the first facing of one’s fear is enough to eliminate any future timidity related to that previous phobia. Ask any psychiatrist, and they’ll confirm that statement. In hypnosis, fears can be mollified. I count on disparaging my own phobia, when I face the highway!
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy