STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I am scared of losing

Pat5Mert
54-41. The score lit dimly on the old score board in the poorly lit gym. That was it. I hoped maybe we could pull just one win out, but the final horn sounded, and the referee took the basketball, extinguishing any hope of victory. 0-21. The amount of times I would hear that record repeated back to me in the following year would be too high to tally. Zero wins and 21 losses. I was scared we might never win another game. I was scared we would be the laughing stock of the entire school.
No one expected it. Classmates would jeer, "How did you guys not win a SINGLE game?!" Because we sucked was the easy answer, but I knew it was deeper than that. Being only a sophomore on the varsity basketball team, I was in no role to lead, even though I started nearly every game. I truly believe the season’s results all came down to the lack of leadership on the team.
My freshman year I was taken aback by our monstrous senior captains. They were tall, strong, and fast. They led with poise and patience. The seniors this year were a shadow of the previous ones. One of them was forced into the captain role, one with no passion or drive. Coach said do four laps, the leaders did two. Coach said do 25 push-ups, they did 18, maybe. I was only a sophomore, so they wouldn't listen to me when I told them not to cut corners. Words cannot describe the feeling of resentment that overcomes me after every jaunt from students about our season. I should have taken things into my own hands, but I was scared no one would listen to a lowly sophomore.
I couldn't keep waiting for someone to take charge. Although it was great to see real leaders showing the way freshman year, I believe it stuck me in a rut. I thought there would always be upperclassmen to lead the way. I think our record answered enough that I was wrong. Sometimes the best way to get things done is by believing in oneself.
I tried this the following year, and we won a league championship, the first in our school history. I now try to live my life by this. Don't always expect someone else to do what you can do yourself. Although my 2012, 0-21 season may have killed my spirits, making me even question if I still wanted to play the sport I was destined to play, I think the losses helped me solidify what really matters. The fear of never winning again and being scared of what others would think of me disappeared when I learned to believe in myself and work hard. I realized that when you do your best there is nothing to be scared of anymore.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy