I'm Scared Of The Dark

poohbear98
I’m scared of the dark. For many people, fearing the dark is probably categorized as paranoia and they are probably true. For a 15 year old to still be afraid of the dark, sometimes you can get ridiculed of or laughed at. Darkness; to me, what causes this fear is an active imagination. After a scary movie, don’t many tend to start imagining the characters in the movie taking part in our lives? For me, yes. And because, these all live in my imagination, my fear fuels them to become scarier and more realistic. I always tuck my comforter all the way up to my chin with the thought that I’m safe behind the blanket. Now as I grow up, the fear is slowly dissipating but there’s always the shock when the light suddenly goes out and it’s dark. I start asking myself, “Is this a coincidence or is it a supernatural happening?” If you ask many kids about their fear, they will probably start telling you about the monsters in their closets. I don’t have them but I have imaginary monsters in my brain. I don’t like it especially when its dark and I’m all alone. That’s when I start getting scared of the empty spaces behind me, afraid that when I turn around, I would see something that I would rather not see. There’s a reason why scary movies always are shot in the dark most of the time. The darkness gives a sense of mystery, a fear of the unknown when you can’t see, anticipation and shock. For me, I feel it would be very good to get rid of this fear but if I don’t, I would still be okay, it will always be a part of me that makes me who I am today.