I am Scared of Losing My Strength of Character

Megiris
One day, not so very long ago, a girl encountered one of her worst fears. That girl was me, the day was fairly average, and the fear was less shallow than it might at first seem.
First, for clarification, I do an online school. I type my assignments in a document, and then I submit them as files. My teacher gives me feedback, and everything is fine and dandy.
To get into the topic we're currently talking about, I had procrastinated one of my assignments. The assignment was a particularly difficult study guide that I didn't want to do, and I had developed a sense of arrogance that allowed me to think that no matter how long I procrastinated everything would turn out fine.
So I missed the deadline. Days passed, and I still didn't submit my assignment. I decided to check my grades on this course and saw a marking that filled me with dread. On this assignment the grade said “NOT SUBMITTED. 0/55.”
So far it seems pretty shallow. Some girl is terrified of getting bad grades. But my real fear is that I am slipping into habits of complacence that are detrimental to my character. That as a person I am allowing myself to just float through life without working to better myself.
And that is terrifying.