STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I Am Scared of Failure

Jlee
On a Thursday evening in the summer I stared at my SAT prep book with no interest of learning new vocabulary words that I knew I wasn’t going to use in real life. No matter how many times I told myself that I needed to study for this exam, I just couldn’t get excited about studying. Whenever I looked at the book, I just wanted to take a nap. As much as I knew how important this exam would be, I just couldn’t make myself do it. With my head resting on the palm of my hand and my eyes wandering around the room, I saw my phone from the corner of my eye, luring me to check my text messages.

“Oh what the heck,” I said aloud deciding to take a “quick” break from studying. Just as I picked up the phone, it began ringing. My sister who had just settled into college her new college a week before was called me. “So, how was your first day in college?” I excitedly asked my sister.

“Eh...it was okay,” she mumbled.

“What do you mean ‘just okay?’” I said. She let out a big sigh before responding.

“I just wish I studied harder in high school. If I had, I probably would have gotten into a better college,” she said after a moment.

I involuntarily looked down at my SAT practice workbook sitting untouched at the corner of my desk.

“You know, you’re probably Mom and Dad’s last hope,” she said. “I already blew it.” We both let out one of those fake laughs.

“Okay, bye. I’ll text you later,” I said quickly. We hung up, but I heard the words in my mind, “Mom and Dad’s last hope.”

I realized that I hadn’t been working hard. Everyone was preparing for the SAT and I had practically wasted my summer staring at just one math problem in my workbook. In a way, it felt like everyone was a step ahead of me and I was getting further behind. I began to feel afraid. What if I failed? What if I became a loser? What if all of the money my parents spent on my prep classes was wasted? What if all of the late nights my Dad spent working to provide money for me to go to college were for nothing?

Over the next few days, every time I tried to relax I kept remembering the conversation I had with my sister. My mom began asking why I looked so tired in the mornings.

Now, even when I have spare time after finishing my homework, I don't lay in bed checking Facebook. Instead, I always feel guilty as though there’s no time to waste, and I need to be working. My parents are glad to see that I am studying much more than I used to. But what they don’t know is that I am not studying to become successful. I’m studying because I’m afraid to fail.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your FEAR essay being chosen as 1 of our 10 essays in the running for 1st place in this month’s writing competition. This is a huge accomplishment since we received over 160 essays this month. Please feel free to share your “runner up” status with the world.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners. If you are selected as the winner of this month’s competition, we will contact you directly via the email you used for registration.

In the meantime, you can view all the results by clicking on this link: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/WhatScaresTeens.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World, One Story at a Time”

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:51:32 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy