I am scared of being sick for my whole life

jk.martin
Endometriosis is a disease where the lining of the uterus leaks to places it should not be. Once a month, it breaks down inside of the body and it has nowhere to go. It is incredibly painful and causes worse than normal menstrual periods. The treatment ranges from using strong forms of birth control, to uterine scrapings (yes, it is what you are imagining), and finally, when you're old enough, hysterectomy. This is the final stage, which requires you be close to menopause to get. It is the only way to completely decimate the disorder.

The women of my family are more than strong; they have battled this disorder all their lives. Now, it is becoming apparent that I, too, show the ravaging symptoms of this horrible disease. It is true that birthing a child is probably the most painful thing a woman could ever go through. This is number two on that list. Every month, we experience pain that would make anyone scream and in truth, it does. Nothing is more terrifying than the prospect of spending the rest of my life like this, especially because it is only getting started.

I have been closely monitored since just over a year ago a lump was found in my breast. I was fortunate enough to not have cancer; however, I do not believe I will be so lucky this time. I am scared, not only about my life as a student (Will I be able to pay for college?), but also about how I can learn to suffer through my life and soldier on.

I am seventeen, and I am scared of this pain.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your FEAR essay being chosen as a semi-finalist in this month’s writing competition. This is a huge accomplishment since we received over 160 essays this month. Please feel free to share your “semi-finalist status” with the world.

Although your essay will not be selected as one of the top three this month, please know that we believe that you are a fabulous writer and we hope to see more of your work on our site.

You can view all the results by clicking on this link: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/WhatScaresTeens.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World, One Story at a Time”

Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:36:53 PM