STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I am scared of drowning

stinkydipper
I am scared of drowning. I have nightmares about it all the time. This is one of the worsts.
My hair is stuck. It's stuck and I'm stuck with it. Normally I would not panic, just figure it out and be done with it. It's a little harder to do that now since I'm on a time limit. And also underwater.
I cannot take deep breaths to calm myself, for then I am not even giving myself a chance. Sucking in water like a starving person would food wont help. So instead, I push back panic and gingerly reach back. I have short hair so the pipe eating me up is closer to scalp then I'd like. I pull gently, get no result, so really yank on it. A blast of bubbles escape my mouth at the unexpected pain. I curse myself for the waste of very needed oxygen, though my reaction is understandable. It feels as though part of my head has been ripped violently off and is now floating along in the water, free and leaving the rest of me to die.
Okay. My hair isn't going to come out. Not like that, anyway. Get help. that or somehow find something that can cut my hair off. A sloppy haircut is the least of my problems right now. I thrash my legs, trying not to jerk my head and worsen my pain. There are other people in the pool and others sitting in those chairs. The ones you can lay down in. The ones I always fall through. The ones I wish I'm in right now. My lungs scream and no one is coming to rescue me. 'Shut up' I tell myself. Do something. Shorts and a sort of shirt you surf in. Nothing sharp in or on them. Not on the bikini top I'm wearing under, either. Shoot, I'm feeling it now. I kick some more, as hard as I can hoping someone will see the splashes. No life guards. Before I liked that, now I'm thinking some real mean things at whoever's stupid idea that was.
Tick. Tick. Tick. I can practically hear my life slipping away. I want to scream, but those bubbles that would come out can possibly save me if they stay in. Tick. Tick. Tick. Now I'm panicking. What else am I suppose to do? I kick and buck, twisting my head back and forth and not feeling the pain. There's spots in my vision. Oh, no. I will not pass out.
Come on, people! I've three siblings swimming about with some elderly people down in the shallow end, walking back and firth. My mom is knitting, her feet dangling in the water. Someone will find me. It's only a matter of seconds. Tick. Tick. Tick. I will not pass out and breathe in water unknowingly. I will not. I will not. I will not. I will not....
That is what I'm scared of.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy