STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I am Scared of the silver blade

@AlyssiaBrownSOFTBALL#5

What scares me is depression, and what can come with it, like cutting and suicide. Yes. I was a cutter. I had been doing it for 6 months, before anyone else knew about it. I remember in the ninth grade my reputation was ruined because I didn’t give a boy what he wanted. So they ganged up on me and kept harassing me, to the point where I didn’t even want to live anymore. People started making fun of me and things just got worse and worse. Then one day I finally had enough. So when I got home I stole a knife from the kitchen and ran upstairs to the bathroom. I pulled up my sleeves and looked for my veins and slid the knife across them. I did it again repeatedly. I just let the blood run into the sink. Then I bandaged up my arm and went on with the rest of my night. I fell asleep and my arm started to throb. It hurt so much, yet it felt so good. I just wanted to do it again. As I woke up and got ready for my day I tried to keep my arm hidden away from my parents. When I went to school it started up again, the bullying and the name calling. So I ran into the girl’s bathroom, pulled up my sleeves and did about three more slices up my left arm. I just let it drop into the toilet. I just don’t understand what this feels so good and it’s so addicting. I just can’t stop, until one day my mom saw my arm. She was speechless all she did was cry and cry. I didn’t mean to hurt my mother, I love her so much. But still I just couldn’t stop cutting as months passed it just got worse and worse, the cutting got deeper, and the depression doubled. I started losing weight drastically, and I just couldn’t help it. My mom brought me to the doctors and they were gonna send me to a ward. I remember having a panic attack at the doctor’s office and passing out. I had to be run through tests. My results were bad. When I went to get the help that I need, I realized how lucky I was. To hear other people’s stories put me to tears. One of the girls I met their put me to tears the most, she was a cutter too. She asked me if I knew a good way to stop and I had told her no. The she went and got a pen and told me to wait right where I was. Then she came back with the pen, she told me to stick my abused arm out. Then she drew a butterfly across my scars. Then she told me that when the butterfly fades away and I haven’t cut at all it means that the butterfly is set free. If I happen to cut when the butterfly is still on my arm then I killed the butterfly. Then she said if you do this for about six months, you will be protected from the silver blade. Even now if you look at my arm, you will see a butterfly on my wrist. And the butterfly is always set free. Good-bye silver blade.

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy