STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

A True Individual - My Hero

cocoa13
A hero is someone you look up to, someone whose judgment you trust, a person you can always count on. Heroes come in a variety of unique forms-- next door neighbors, famous singers, or maybe even special teachers. No matter the person, though, all heroes share a common trait: individuality. For me, my mom is my hero. She takes individuality to a new level, and in her wake she leaves countless people trying to become a better person.
On the outside, my mom seems to be an ordinary Finnish girl, whose blue eyes sparkle while talking. But on the inside, she is a mass of pent-up energy, just waiting to inspire the unexpected. My mom is my hero because she never gives up on me and is always supportive. My mom is one of the few who truly acts in “consciousness of the heart and soul.” In addition, my mom is fierce and never takes “no” for an answer when she is trying to better the lives of those she cares for--no matter the consequence. She is a high school teacher that students actually love to listen to. Visitors who casually observe her class would see an atmosphere that is charged with her charismatic voice. The room is flooded with vivacious laughter. Her interaction with students shows that she takes pride in her work. She does everything she can to ensure that her students get the best education possible--laced with humor and fun, of course.
This summer my mom took me to England to open my eyes to culture, literature, and history. On the Eye, we circled London from an eagle’s view, while capturing such famous sites as the London Bridge and the Parliament Building on film. We savored the crunchy flavors of traditional fish and chips at an English pub. Sharing these rich experiences with my mom helped me to understand her passion for traveling. I saw why she loved learning about writers, artists, and life-changing events. My mom showed me that humankind is linked together across the ages through universal needs, goals, and desires. However, we can enrich our understanding of what it is to be human by seeing unique cultural elements. We can gain a strong respect for both our connections and our differences. I admire my mom for her ability to share this excitement, love, and respect with me—as well as her students.
In essence, a hero is one who shapes lives with words and actions. A hero is one who inspires positive thoughts and reactions. My mom is a hero not by worldly status or fame, but by true devotion and loyalty to the ones she loves.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy