STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Hero is My Mother

Kscott11
A wise man once said, “What doesn’t kill you will only make you stronger.” My mother is living proof of the quote’s validity. Characteristics of a hero include courage and willingness. Although life has not been a walk in the park for her, she is still standing. When faced with adversity, my mother’s autocracy and determination over shadowed the obstacles.

The word “independent” means, not influenced or controlled by others in matters of opinion or conduct; thinking or acting for oneself. Many people believe married women are solely dependent on their husbands. Although my mother is married and has never been a single parent, she still is the definition of an independent woman. She is not someone who just cooks and cleans in my household. My mother takes initiative by working hard, which shows me that I do not have to rely on one person to take care of me when I grow up. She is a manager at her company which teaches me the importance of leadership. She also had to teach herself how to get on the educational route in order to receive the necessities of life.

At the tender age of 20, my mother had her first child. However she did not let her obstacles deprive her of her goals. She was the first in her family to attend college also deeming her the first to graduate. With no direct influences demanding my mother to go to college, it amazes me how she chose to start a new family legacy of attending. Because of her intense desire to achieve more in life, my brother and I are apt to be successful. We understand how essential a college education is in order to reach our own aspirations.

The perseverance my mother exemplifies is the main reason why I have big dreams. I know that I can accomplish anything because my hero constantly reminds me so. My mother, being a firm believer of God, encourages me to read the bible. Philippians 4:13 states, “I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.” The motivation in me towards excelling increases every time I think of the verse. My mother’s perspective of life has allowed me to approach everything I do with a tenacious attitude. I will forever strive to be more like my mother, for she has impacted the way I think and even the way I live.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy