My Hero is My Mother

Kscott11
A wise man once said, “What doesn’t kill you will only make you stronger.” My mother is living proof of the quote’s validity. Characteristics of a hero include courage and willingness. Although life has not been a walk in the park for her, she is still standing. When faced with adversity, my mother’s autocracy and determination over shadowed the obstacles.

The word “independent” means, not influenced or controlled by others in matters of opinion or conduct; thinking or acting for oneself. Many people believe married women are solely dependent on their husbands. Although my mother is married and has never been a single parent, she still is the definition of an independent woman. She is not someone who just cooks and cleans in my household. My mother takes initiative by working hard, which shows me that I do not have to rely on one person to take care of me when I grow up. She is a manager at her company which teaches me the importance of leadership. She also had to teach herself how to get on the educational route in order to receive the necessities of life.

At the tender age of 20, my mother had her first child. However she did not let her obstacles deprive her of her goals. She was the first in her family to attend college also deeming her the first to graduate. With no direct influences demanding my mother to go to college, it amazes me how she chose to start a new family legacy of attending. Because of her intense desire to achieve more in life, my brother and I are apt to be successful. We understand how essential a college education is in order to reach our own aspirations.

The perseverance my mother exemplifies is the main reason why I have big dreams. I know that I can accomplish anything because my hero constantly reminds me so. My mother, being a firm believer of God, encourages me to read the bible. Philippians 4:13 states, “I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.” The motivation in me towards excelling increases every time I think of the verse. My mother’s perspective of life has allowed me to approach everything I do with a tenacious attitude. I will forever strive to be more like my mother, for she has impacted the way I think and even the way I live.