My Hero is Ghandi

shaywilliams
“Be the change you want to see in the world.” Some of us know this infamous Ghandi quote all too well, yet never took into consideration. With everything that is happening in today’s world Ghandi’s wise words still hold true to this day. This is a man who embodies a power that we all possess but are too afraid to channel it. He is my hero because his methods of bringing about change are shown through generations of leaders and will always have an impact no matter what the situation.
Mahatma Ghandi, Bombay born peace activist led a nonviolent resistance movement against the British colonial rule in India. He was a political and spiritual leader and pioneered a revelation called satyagraha. Satyagraha reflected on a person’s spiritual self as being loosely translated as a “soul force.” It is a philosophy and a practice of nonviolent resistance. He also practiced ahimsa in which they do not harm any living beings. This also circulates around the positive and negative karmic energies. Many from the Hindu faith, like Ghandi, practiced ahimsa. His spirituality reflected through his protests and his life work. He would go on these long and multiple fasts as a means of enlightenment, self purification, and social protest. Humbly he would live a modest life style, spinning his own yarn and clothes.
Ghandi’s political success began with the oppression of the British rule. He aimed to achieve Swaraj or the independence of India from foreign rule. He led his followers with the use of civil disobedience in the non- cooperation movement that protested the imposed salt tax. Then to move on a grander scale he launched the Quit India civil disobedience demanding the independence of India. Ghandi’s belief of a non violence practice help him with the succession of India’s freedom while peacefully conquering one of the world’s most powerful army. Many famous activist after him has imitated his style such as Nelson Mandela and his struggle with south African apartheid. Also let’s not forget Martin Luther King and his boycotts and sit-ins.
Ghandi is referred to by his people as Bapu or father of his nation. He is seen as an inspirational figure throughout the world. His political statements is one of the most influential in the world and is still recognized as a leader and a image to follow. It is his deep sense of self and spirituality is what I admire most about him. A person’s life is defined by what they believe in and it is through history in which we can find immortality.