My hero is Mahatma Gandhi

dancecrazygg
During difficult times it’s always nice to get inspiration from someone you admire. Either it be from a family member or a celebrity or a historical figure, everyone needs someone to look up to through stressful situations. My hero that I look up to is Mahatma Gandhi, an educated man who never resolved any problem with violence. He stood up against the British and tried to work out the issues between the Hindus and the Muslims in a respectable manner. Gandhi had great courage, strength, and devotion to his people which made him an admirable man.
There were constant riots in South Africa and India over conflicts with the British or among the Hindus and Muslims. They would kill each other with no remorse. Gandhi stood up to this injustice not with the same violence they demonstrated but with the opposite. He used non-violent protests to capture their attention. Gandhi fasted for many days against the British oppression. It takes more strength to starve yourself than to go physically hurt someone else. With that action he did for his people, he gained my respect. It’s nice to see that in the past, some conflicts were able to be fixed with communication and nonviolence protest as Gandhi has proven.
Gandhi didn’t just open the door of non violence but he also opened the door of no judgment. In India there’s a system called the caste system which is India’s social status scale. At the bottom of the pyramid are the civilians who are called the “untouchables”. They do the unwanted jobs like cleaning bathrooms. Gandhi, who went to college for law, did jobs that were meant for the “untouchables”. He saw everyone as one. In his mind there is no upper or lower class. It’s in are human nature that when we meet someone, we judge them based on their clothes and the way they talk and Gandhi didn’t seem to have that characteristic which is remarkable. He gave everyone an equal opportunity.
To be a hero you don’t need to have a cape or a secret identity. It’s when you stand strong for what you believe in. Gandhi saw the world in a different perspective that people see as unattainable. He saw peace and equality. Many people saw him as a crazy person but that didn’t stop him from trying. Gandhi took the first step to achieve that goal. Gandhi is my hero because he did incredible actions to prove a point. That you don’t need so much wars and negativity to get attention or took bring people down to make yourself feel superior. Everyone is equal and you should never turn to violence for an answer. Gandhi has impacted my life in many ways and will continue to for the rest of my life.