My Hero is Ayrton Senna

MichaelVega
My Hero is Ayrton Senna
Some sportsmen play for the money. Some play for prominence and popularity. Some may even play for honor and pride. However, there are the select few individuals whose life and blood is the sport itself. Such dedication in the motorsport could only come from a man called Ayrton Senna, a Brazilian Formula One racecar driver whose steadfastness, coolness, and concern for the sport makes this man a eternal idol for many individuals in the world of sports.

Ayrton Senna was a man of straight dedication to his sporting work as an F1 racer. Unlike other racecar drivers, Senna would be consistent in his finishing results throughout his life, going as far as winning eight of the sixteen races in one season. Of course, all of this was completed through his own rigorous training and enthusiasm. He started humbly in a cheap, used racing go-kart, successfully winning championships at a very young age. Driving in the junior leagues, perfecting his skill, winning titles like a sprinter in the Olympics winning medal after medal, Senna would finally join the big leagues. He would then become a World Champion in Formula 1 racing three times, even winning two of them consecutively. This would only come from a sheer ardor to the sport, which would be a desirable trait for anyone that looks up to him; especially that one could utilize this ability for everyday activities, like schoolwork, jobs, and working. This trait will take a person far in life.

In addition to being dedicated to the sport, Ayrton Senna was devoted to the welfare of everyone else in it, as well as to his own people, the Brazilians. He has even saved an individual in the middle of a race. This other racecar driver would severely crash into a wall, knocking him unconscious. Most participants would pass on right through him, in hopes in salvaging their race. Senna, however, actually sacrificed his own race, to meet up with the injured driver, getting there even before the emergency units could reach him. He would even visit him at the hospital, showing his kindness and guardian-like nature to the sport. Not only that, he had planned to donate his earnings to a charity (which, upon his premature death, was found out to be at least $400 million) shows his care for his own society, which is unlike most sportsmen these days whole are often on the tabloids for drugs and crimes. This individual had set the standard for pure sportsmanship.

Ayrton Senna was, and will always be in many people’s hearts, the living embodiment of unadulterated sportsmanship: a man of honor, loyalty, and pride within his sport. He will do whatever it takes to benefit not only himself, but also his fellow participants, and his people. This idol was all three of them, not including the absolute skill he contained in the sport. It is a shame that he died racing, but this further eternalizes him as the ultimate sportsman.