I am scared of needles.

unicornsandcupcakes
I’m afraid of a lot of things. In fact, sometimes I think I should just give up and live in a bubble. However, the one thing that creeps me out more than anything are needles. It’s not just the little “pinch” that comes along with them (which isn’t even a pinch, it’s more like a stab), but it’s everything about them. The look. The feel. Everything. I don’t mind going to the hospital just as long as it’s not my appointment. If it is, my heart pounds out of my chest and my hands get all shaky and sweaty (gross, I know).
My least favorite phrases in the world are “you need to get your shot record updated” or “there’s this new vaccine that could really benefit your daughter”. Because then I get to wait some more, trying to conjure the bravery needed for one little shot. I’ve tried to bring an ice pack to the doctor’s office, but they always tell me that I’m not a baby, and that the shot will only last a few seconds. Yeah, right. First of all, I know that I’m being a baby about this whole needle thing, but they are genuinely scary to me. Lastly, it never feels like a few seconds. It always takes like two minutes. Every nurse says that they’re fast with needles, but very few of them actually are.
Taking blood and getting surgeries are even more of a big deal. With taking blood, you have to sit there with a stupid needle in your arm and watch the blood spill out through a tube. If they don’t get a vein the first time, then they have to repetitively stab the same area again and again (and if you’re lucky, they’ll switch arms) until they finally get a good one. If they don’t put in the needle right, then your whole arm is in pain for a bit. At least you sleep though surgeries, but it hurts my whole arm when they force the anesthetic through a tube and into my veins.
My family likes to poke fun at me when we have to go to the doctors by saying that they might need to do something that involves needles, or they’re going to tell the nurse/doctor to just get it over with right then and there while I’m in the middle of a mini panic attack. The thing is, when you’re scared of something, your mind tends to blow things out of proportion when you’re facing what scares you the most. I highly doubt they’ll be all cool when they have to face their fears. They probably freak out as much as I do. In reality, a regular syringe needle is like 1-2 inches long. However, when a nurse is coming at me with a needle, it looks/feels worse than it probably is.