STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I am scared of needles.

unicornsandcupcakes
I’m afraid of a lot of things. In fact, sometimes I think I should just give up and live in a bubble. However, the one thing that creeps me out more than anything are needles. It’s not just the little “pinch” that comes along with them (which isn’t even a pinch, it’s more like a stab), but it’s everything about them. The look. The feel. Everything. I don’t mind going to the hospital just as long as it’s not my appointment. If it is, my heart pounds out of my chest and my hands get all shaky and sweaty (gross, I know).
My least favorite phrases in the world are “you need to get your shot record updated” or “there’s this new vaccine that could really benefit your daughter”. Because then I get to wait some more, trying to conjure the bravery needed for one little shot. I’ve tried to bring an ice pack to the doctor’s office, but they always tell me that I’m not a baby, and that the shot will only last a few seconds. Yeah, right. First of all, I know that I’m being a baby about this whole needle thing, but they are genuinely scary to me. Lastly, it never feels like a few seconds. It always takes like two minutes. Every nurse says that they’re fast with needles, but very few of them actually are.
Taking blood and getting surgeries are even more of a big deal. With taking blood, you have to sit there with a stupid needle in your arm and watch the blood spill out through a tube. If they don’t get a vein the first time, then they have to repetitively stab the same area again and again (and if you’re lucky, they’ll switch arms) until they finally get a good one. If they don’t put in the needle right, then your whole arm is in pain for a bit. At least you sleep though surgeries, but it hurts my whole arm when they force the anesthetic through a tube and into my veins.
My family likes to poke fun at me when we have to go to the doctors by saying that they might need to do something that involves needles, or they’re going to tell the nurse/doctor to just get it over with right then and there while I’m in the middle of a mini panic attack. The thing is, when you’re scared of something, your mind tends to blow things out of proportion when you’re facing what scares you the most. I highly doubt they’ll be all cool when they have to face their fears. They probably freak out as much as I do. In reality, a regular syringe needle is like 1-2 inches long. However, when a nurse is coming at me with a needle, it looks/feels worse than it probably is.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy