STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I am scared of spiders

ExtraCredit
I have always had a genuine fear of spiders. They always seem to appear out of nowhere and are always in my way. The spiders seem to have an uncanny ability to freak me out when I see one. I know I am not alone with my fear as a result from About.com’s psychology page which listed arachnophobia (fear of spiders) as the number one fear for people. About.com went in depth with this observation and discovered that were several factors that contribute to making spiders so terrifying to human beings.
The spider’s appearance is one those factors. Their appearance which usually consists of dark colors, round bodies and angular shaped legs seemed to be a natural fear to human beings. The dark colors of the spider are used to ward off predators and it works as humans seem to notice the dark colors and avoid them. Their round bodies seem to have an effect as the bigger the body, the more the fear grows of being bitten by it and that bite being deadly by it. Their angular legs are definitely the scariest thing in their appearance as the fact that their legs are angled in such a way that it makes me cringe just thinking about it.
Another factor is the unpredictability with spiders. What I mean by this is that you do not have a clue what a spider is going to do if you try to squish it. The spider could run away, it could hide or it could possibly attack you. You just do not know what is going to happen between the seconds of you dropping that shoe, flyswatter or newspaper down on that spider. The unpredictability of the spider makes you think twice about confronting a spider head on as using a type of spray that kills spiders might be more effective and less stressful.
The factor that is the reason why I am so scared of spiders is the possibility that the spider you encounter could be venomous and deadly. This factor, I believe, is why I and most people avoid spiders because they could get bitten and that the bite could be potentially life-threatening. Even though most of the spiders here in the United States are not life threatening, it is still a big fear amongst the general public of getting bitten and dying. I believe Hollywood and television has turned spiders into such deadly creatures in the public’s eyes. Spiders can be venomous and dangerous but most them are not but you cannot really tell if it dangerous or not if you’re trying to kill it.
The three factors listed above we’re the biggest reasons why I and other people avoid spiders. The appearance of a spider helps warn humans determining whether or not it is a spider and if it is deadly. The unpredictability of a spider makes you think twice about confronting a spider. The possibility of a deadly bite from a spider is the factor that scares me and most people from confronting them. As I wrote this essay, I started to become less afraid of spiders as I researched them and maybe one day I will be able to live with the fact that spiders are not the most terrifying out there.
Rate this:
Comment by @AlyssiaBrownSOFTBALL#5

I really like how you used other resources to support your essay it was very good. I too have a huge fear of spiders and cry when I see one. I am seventeen and is still agree that this is the scariest thing on the planet. If it comes to facing a tarantula or jumping off the cliff, I would pick the cliff. I was going to do my essay on this but I just got so freaked out that I didn't, and just wanted to here what you had to say about spiders. Great Job!!!!
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 9:02:16 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy