"My Hero is Rosie"

MFWampler
Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap over tall building in a single bound: it’s a bird; no, it’s a plane; no, it’s...Grandma? If a hero needs a cape and an allergy to a fictional green substance, then the Earth is void of any heroes. If the reverse is true, then I have a hero for the ages. My grandma Rosie is a hero because, even though she has lived a harsh life, she still finds a way to put other people’s happiness before her own, works hard to achieve goals deemed unsuitable by her generation, and fights the stereotype society stamps on the elderly.

To begin with, Grandma Rosie was born during the Depression and belongs to a generation who believe women are not to do anything, but be motherly homemakers. As a result, Rosie married my grandpa Dale during high school and had five kids. Dale was a military man who traveled around, dragging Rosie and their children along. For a while Dale was stationed in Germany, Rosie had to run a household of four sons and one daughter by herself in a foreign country. Times were callous and it should have forlorn Rosie. Instead, she has spent her time ensuring that those around her are having a “grand-ol’-time”. For instance, she gave up going to her beloved pottery class so that her youngest son could join Boy Scouts. Putting another persons’ joy before her own when happiness was hard to come by, is the mark of a hero.

Moreover, Rosie has created and achieved goals that were deemed inappropriate for women of her generation. Specifically, her goal to have a college degree was severely frowned upon. At the time, Rosie was 45 and didn’t know anyone who had been to college. Everything was new and confusing. However, at the ripe age of 48, she successfully graduated from college. Going back to school after 27 years is a challenge by itself; but having to face and overcome opposition from her generations closed mindedness made attaining her goal even more taxing and equally inspiring.

To exemplify the hero that is my grandma, Rosie fights against society’s stereotype about the elderly. Society views them as people who are past their prime and sit in “homes” mindlessly watching TV. It is against Rosie’s character to live that life style. Grandma enjoys riding her bike and volunteering at the library. She helps run a museum in town and joins in on any fun that is going on. She participates in the Blueberry Festival and joins my cousins and me when we go ice fishing in the winter. If it weren’t for the fluffy, white hair on her head, you would never know that she was elderly.

Consequently, Grandma Rosie is my hero because of her selflessness, promotion of others happiness, and, above all else, her ability to overcome adversity - without an allergic reaction to a particular green substance.