STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

"My Hero is Rosie"

MFWampler
Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap over tall building in a single bound: it’s a bird; no, it’s a plane; no, it’s...Grandma? If a hero needs a cape and an allergy to a fictional green substance, then the Earth is void of any heroes. If the reverse is true, then I have a hero for the ages. My grandma Rosie is a hero because, even though she has lived a harsh life, she still finds a way to put other people’s happiness before her own, works hard to achieve goals deemed unsuitable by her generation, and fights the stereotype society stamps on the elderly.

To begin with, Grandma Rosie was born during the Depression and belongs to a generation who believe women are not to do anything, but be motherly homemakers. As a result, Rosie married my grandpa Dale during high school and had five kids. Dale was a military man who traveled around, dragging Rosie and their children along. For a while Dale was stationed in Germany, Rosie had to run a household of four sons and one daughter by herself in a foreign country. Times were callous and it should have forlorn Rosie. Instead, she has spent her time ensuring that those around her are having a “grand-ol’-time”. For instance, she gave up going to her beloved pottery class so that her youngest son could join Boy Scouts. Putting another persons’ joy before her own when happiness was hard to come by, is the mark of a hero.

Moreover, Rosie has created and achieved goals that were deemed inappropriate for women of her generation. Specifically, her goal to have a college degree was severely frowned upon. At the time, Rosie was 45 and didn’t know anyone who had been to college. Everything was new and confusing. However, at the ripe age of 48, she successfully graduated from college. Going back to school after 27 years is a challenge by itself; but having to face and overcome opposition from her generations closed mindedness made attaining her goal even more taxing and equally inspiring.

To exemplify the hero that is my grandma, Rosie fights against society’s stereotype about the elderly. Society views them as people who are past their prime and sit in “homes” mindlessly watching TV. It is against Rosie’s character to live that life style. Grandma enjoys riding her bike and volunteering at the library. She helps run a museum in town and joins in on any fun that is going on. She participates in the Blueberry Festival and joins my cousins and me when we go ice fishing in the winter. If it weren’t for the fluffy, white hair on her head, you would never know that she was elderly.

Consequently, Grandma Rosie is my hero because of her selflessness, promotion of others happiness, and, above all else, her ability to overcome adversity - without an allergic reaction to a particular green substance.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy