I am scared of making the wrong decisions for my future.

MiuBlaze
I have been giving some thought on what I want to do with the rest of my life. What do I want to major in? What field do I want to work in? I have decided and changed my mind numerous times, because I felt that I would not like the outcome of sticking with the decisions I made. I am scared of missing out on happiness in my future, because of my making the wrong choices.

I want to be an author, the next J.K. Rowling. No, I want to be a journalist. Wait no, I want to work in Public Relations. Whatever it may be, I want to do something that involves writing; I want to major in English. However, everyone says that the majority of English majors are unemployed. What if I graduate from college and no one wants to hire me? What if I end up on the streets? What if my parents are right and I should be a pharmacist?

For the past two years, my parents have been relentlessly telling me to major in biology and become a pharmacist. Personally, the idea of sitting at the back of Rite-Aid and filling out prescriptions written in indecipherable handwriting is repugnant to me. It is true that pharmacists make more money than I ever will as a writer, but I have a dream; I have a dream to change the world and people’s hearts with my writing. But will I do that if I will have nary a penny to my name?

For the time being, I am set on being an English major, despite what anyone says. I plan to put all my effort into securing great internships and networking. I want to write, no matter the low income. However, I still cannot help but fear that all my efforts will be a waste and that there are no job openings for the career I want.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your FEAR essay being chosen as a semi-finalist in this month’s writing competition. This is a huge accomplishment since we received over 160 essays this month. Please feel free to share your “semi-finalist status” with the world.

Although your essay will not be selected as one of the top three this month, please know that we believe that you are a fabulous writer and we hope to see more of your work on our site.

You can view all the results by clicking on this link: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/WhatScaresTeens.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World, One Story at a Time”

Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:25:48 PM