My Hero is Daniel "Soupy" Campbell

JustinBelichis
By Justin Belichis

A hero can be defined as someone who has given a great amount of inspiration to a large group of people and that is exactly what Soupy has done. Soupy is a short, pale, and skimpy twenty six year old from Philadelphia who leads a musical act called “The Wonder Years”. It almost sounds cliché that my hero is a singer in a band, but this particular singer has changed my life and has had the biggest impact on me since The Beatles. Dan is without a doubt an optimist and looks for the upsides in every situation. Although I personally don’t know Soupy, he has opened my eyes to let me see the bigger picture. This particular picture is one that cannot be seen by many due to all of the hate in our world and I am blessed to be one of the lucky few to see that everything is going be okay.
Optimism is a key ingredient to being a good leader and Soupy’s lyrics are driven by nothing but looking for the upsides. In fact, The Wonder Years released an album earlier this year entitled “The Upsides” which contains a plethora of songs, which circle around the idea that every bad situation has an upside. Although I don’t know Soupy Personally, I feel as if he is a good friend of mine due to his optimistic mentality and his positive message. Unfortunately stubborn groups of people such as the Westboro Baptist church have shot down Soupy’s positive attitude and his open mind but that just gives more attention to Soupy’s mission to inspire the world with hope.
Soupy’s words have inspired thousands of kids and myself over the past two years. One of Soupy’s quotes that will be forever be embedded in my head is “I’m not sad anymore”. The idea behind the saying is that one can’t keep beating him or herself up over things that will keep you down. Sadness isn’t inevitable in Soupy’s eyes, and The Wonder Years continue to live on their message of optimism. There was a time in my life where I found myself beating myself up over things I thought I couldn’t fix, but Soupy let me see that I wasn’t alone in that there were times where he was going exactly what I was going through at one time in his life. Soupy taught me how to overcome the road bumps slowing me down in my life not through a personal confession, but through his heart driven lyrics.
Soupy is my hero and has had the biggest impact on my life. I am proud to call myself an optimist and because of that I hope to inspire people with my positive attitude one day. Everything is going to be okay, in any situation you are in, and Soupy has helped me realize that my glass is half full and the upsides are just around the corner.
Comment by shannonjeann

I know this is from a year ago but i feel the same exact way as you do with Soupy. He's such an amazing guy. And one day I will meet him and forever tell him thank you for all the music the wonder years has put out. Their music is helping get through high school at the moment.
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 6:12:44 PM