My Hero is Mokoto Nagano

Hokaru
In today’s world, it’s common for everyone to look into their own hearts and find that they truly want to make a difference. In the U.S., and all over the globe, the subtle yet caring actions of others inspire us to make changes of our own. Sometimes, these persons can be doing nothing more than participating in a game show. Yet, their success and their life stories are what make watching the show so worthwhile. To the public eye, it could be just a game. Or to others, the ones personally involved, it’s a test of inner and outer strength—a test to overcome one’s worst fears and resist one’s desires—the traits of a modern-day hero. And there is one hero who catches my eye more than anyone else—his name is Mokoto Nagano. He participates on the Japanese show “Ninja Warrior”—an obstacle course for the toughest of athletes—but his muscles and masculine demeanor are all just part of the outer shell that defines him as a hero.
The routine—4 extreme stages are laid out for determined athletes to attempt to conquer. “Many have been called—few are chosen.” And only a few men have managed to reach the top. But what’s so special about those that do? No, it’s not just because they’re big, strong, or have their own obstacle course laid out on their backyards—it’s because they overcame the toughest physical and emotional obstacles to reach the top. Mokoto Nagano, dubbed “the number 1 reason to watch Ninja Warrior”, has a story all his own. Coming from a humble, poor family as a boy, he had little expectations for his future, but remained hardworking. Now, in his adulthood, still humble and hardworking, the show that piqued his interest has now become a part of his life.
Nagano is now pursuing his family’s line of work—he is a fisherman. He uses his fishing boat to hone his skills for Ninja Warrior, and even helped to train the Americans that came from overseas to participate in the event. On another occasion, during stage 3 he accidentally placed his hands out of bounds, which would ordinarily lead to being disqualified. No one else noticed or called it out, but when he reached the safe zone he admitted to the mistake before proceeding and was thus honorably disqualified from that particular tournament. The fans were stunned—and so were the watchers at home—but his willingness to point out his flaw only added to the growing admiration that the fans have for him.
In short—the hero that inspires me to be hardworking and humble isn’t of U.S. origin. Instead, he is just a man, with a goal of success, but with no intention of delaying anyone else’s. He has inspired many people—all over the world—to never give up and always remain true to yourself and others. Truly, in my eye, he is a remarkable hero.