STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I am scared of the idea that no one will miss me if I vanished

Rohan Menon
If I’m being completely honest with myself and everyone who reads this, then there is really only one fear I've had that actually scares me all the time no matter who I’m with or what I’m doing. I am legitimately scared sometimes that nobody would miss me if I just vanished. I want to have lived a life that meant something; I want to impact the people I’m around, and maybe only in little ways. If you live and die, and nobody misses you or wishes that you were still around, then have you really lived? It just scares me, and I might be the only one who worries about this, but nonetheless I think about this nearly every day. Often times, I think about this before doing something really stupid, or something very meaningful or important to me. This fear of mine has actually gotten worse recently, probably due to the fact that I just finished moving to a new town and a new school where I didn't know anyone. Saying good bye to all of my best friends and people that I love from my old town was extremely hard, and now that I live here, I often find myself wondering whether or not any of them miss me? I know I didn't really do anything that spectacular there, but I had a lot of close friends and I like to think that I was pretty nice to everyone I came into contact with! Either way, I just worry that nobody will remember me, nobody will miss me, and nobody will wonder what happened to me. The one thing that does help when I think about this, is talking to my old friends. Since nowadays we have technology that allows us to communicate with people far away instantly, I end up either texting or calling some of my old friends whenever I start to think about this. The one person that constantly keeps me sane about this is my best friend. I’m not going to state her name, but she is the only person that always reassures me that everyone actually misses me, and that I have done something decently meaningful in my life so far.
Rate this:
Comment by Samantha.McGraw

I've felt this too. I had a friend that felt this so deeply that he killed himself. He thought that no one cared, no one would miss him. He had no idea how wrong he was. Someone, at least one person, out there loves you deeply and I know that they miss you and would miss you if you disappeared. I wish you the best of luck in your new town and I hope you make good friends. Just remember, no matter where you are or what you are doing, someone loves you.
Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 3:10:55 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy