STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Goal Setting: Not of Achieving but of Becoming

Chocolatebunny
My knuckles turned white as I clung tight to the metal bar in front of me as the three-wheeler rocketed down the road. The smell of exhaust crept through the open sides of the vehicle. The driver made a sudden turn onto a dirt path, and my sister’s weight was thrown against my shoulder. I paid little attention to these discomforts as my mind disconnected from the ride. Will they like me? Will I be able to teach them? Or maybe I’ll be a failure as a language teacher... We arrived at a gate with pointed iron bars decorated with fanciful geometrical designs. We walked through the gates to a pavilion where we were greeted by the administration. They spoke in thick Sri Lankan accents, and furrowed their eyebrows when my sister and I talked too fast in English. They showed us the simple, Spanish tiled houses, each under the shade of an elm tree. “This is where the children live with fourteen others. They each have a surrogate mother. You see, no? They’re just like a real family.” Walking around this S.O.S. Village, I could tell the children playing outside were happy. As my sister and I arrived at our class the children cast curious glances our way. We smiled and marveled at their cuteness. Later they grew confident enough to ask questions, and we taught them songs which they struggled to sing back. And then we tried a second, then a third time until they recited the songs with ease and confidence.

The next week was a joyful blur of sweet, little children in brightly colored uniforms, and older kids with pockets full of smiles and hugs. We shared a mutual curiosity about each other’s lives. We talked of America, and in turn we found out more about them. They lived lives of getting up at five in the morning and going for a run. They showered and dressed for school. At school they laughed and studied. Like us, they came home and studied some more and slept only when scolded to. They weren't rich, they had no biological family, and for every mile I ran they had to run two, but they were happy.

Slowly I grew less nervous, and taught with more confident. When I read with them they would often get stuck on words more than two syllables. I said it slowly, and they repeated it. I smiled and nodded in approval, and suddenly they could say “grasshopper” like they were born knowing the word.

My goal had been to teach English, but it has turned more into a hope. I hope that if I have given those kids anything it’s the motivation to learn. To expand their knowledge of the world, and to study English not just to learn it, but to communicate in the larger world. A goal is something worked towards, but a hope is everlasting. I came in nervous, but determined. I came out with admiration and hope for our world.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your GOALS essay being chosen as a finalist in this month’s writing competition. This is a huge accomplishment since we received the largest amount of entries ever for this contest.

We will be posting the final results and announcing the winner of the contest by the end of next week. If you are the 1st place winner, we will be contacting you directly.

You can view the results by the end of next week by clicking on the Essay Winners (Blue Ribbon) icon on the StageofLife.com homepage.

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World, One Story at a Time”

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 6:30:36 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you as being selected as the 3rd Place Winner in our September / Goal Setting writing contest. This is a huge honor and you should celebrate your accomplishment.

For all of the contest results view: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/GoalSettingforTeens.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World, One Story at a Time”

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2013 6:15:39 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy