My Hero is My Dad

mtrapp
Imagine living a past of being a former gang member, drug dealer, and high school dropout. If most people have had lived that life, they would most likely have given up on themselves by now. The person that has lived this former lifestyle has raised me to be an intelligent, confident, eighteen year old young woman that I am today. The person that has lived this former lifestyle is a single parent that works two jobs just to provide a roof over my sister and I head and to provide food on the table. This person is one of the world strictest parents because all this person wants is for his kids to rise to the top and shine. Although my dad gets on my last nerves sometimes and we argue so much, he is my hero.
My dad is a man who lived a dangerous life growing up. He lived in Patterson, New Jersey where almost any corner you turn you hear cop cars and the ambulance sirens flashing a bright red color. Every time you turn on the television and watch the news, all you hear about is somebody got shot or beaten to death or gang rape. According to my dad, “I was never a leader, I follow the crowd of people that claim we was family, but family should not make you do what you do not want to do or they should not make you feel low.” My dad was in a gang with kids at his high school, which they made him do things he never wanted to do, like drop out of high school. I wonder everyday why my dad was always on me about everything in school, because he wants me to be better than he ever was. He was me to accomplish things that he never did.
My dad went through hell and back after leaving the place that was supposed to be “home” and the people that were supposed to have been his “family”, but one thing that was so tough for him to go through and it still is today, being a single father raising two teenage girls on his own and working two jobs just to make us happy. I have never seen nor have I heard of any man that is stronger than my dad. We struggle so much when it comes to money but he always find a way to make it all better at the end of the day.
As Winston Churchill has said, “If you are going through hell, just keep going.” My dad is the exact definition of that. He has never given up on himself because he knows one day everything will change for the better. I have asked my dad would he change anything that he has done and he said, “I won’t have change it for the world because everything that has happen to me has made me the man that I am.” My dad is my hero and that will never change.