My Hero is My best friend Courtney

savanna1115
What is a hero? Is it someone that you just like, someone you feel is older and wiser, or someone who just saved your life? Webster’s definition of a hero is “an object of extreme admiration and devotion.” I feel that a hero is someone who has done something to change your point of view in a good way and influences you through life and could be alive or someone in the past. My hero didn’t exactly do anything to save my life physically but mentally she has changed my view on everything. My best friend Courtney is my hero. Though she is not still with us today, she’s in my heart and no matter how hard life gets at times I think of her. Courage and ability to look at the worse situations and turning them into a good thing made her my hero.
She always had the courage of a lion. She was always happy. Her smile was as bright as the sun and her laugh was contagious. When I found out that she had cancer I couldn’t believe it. She was still the happy person she always was. She went through chemo therapy and getting sick and still stood high and lived life to the fullest. She never knew if that was her last day. She made sure no matter what she was having fun. We went to the pool all the time and had sleepovers; I just wanted to spend every second with her. I hated seeing my best friend suffer from this brain tumor! She then got sent to the Shands hospital in Gainesville, FL. Of course I went to visit her. We went around the hospital and she showed me the things she would do for fun. She was then able to go home and it looked as if everything was going back to normal.
Everything seemed to be fine and we were having our sleepovers, then she got sick again. It was worse. The tumor grew back and she went to the hospital in Texas then came back and she would get shots and yet she made sure to not waste any moment unhappy. She wanted me to know that it was ok. She always wanted to have sleepovers, go to the movies with our friends and let none of it affect her. I’ve never seen someone with cancer be as brave as her especially at the young age of twelve.
She was twelve and I got a call three weeks before her thirteenth birthday that my best friend Courtney passed away. My best friend of four years was gone and there was nothing I could do. I couldn’t say goodbye. But the thing that always gets me through was knowing that through the whole thing she stayed happy. People take life for granted. I’m thankful everyday and Courtney has opened my eyes to the happy things in life. My hero is my best friend Courtney.