My Hero is my uncle Jimmy

mmccarthy101
Most people’s hero is an imaginary superhero, their parents, or some famous person. This is not the case for me. My uncle Jimmy is not my hero for typical reasons but, on the contrary, the exact opposite. He has shown me what not to do but also, through perseverance, you can conquer anything in your way.

Admittedly, my uncle’s problems were self-inflicted. He began drinking at a very young age and by the time he was a teenager, he was addicted. Throughout his whole childhood he was sent to rehab to no avail. He would get clean then slip up and end back right where he began. This cycle continued into his adult life. Although he was a working part of society (otherwise know as a functioning alcoholic), his body was taking the toll for his abusive ways and finally gave out. The damage done severely weakened his heart and shut down most of his liver. He was rushed to the hospital where my family stood by his bedside. It took him dying three times and having to be revived to make him see that what he was doing, he had to stop… I learned about this not too many years ago and his actions though unknowingly, have kept me clean throughout my teenage years.

That was five years ago now, and today things have changed dramatically. My uncle no longer is abusing alcohol and although he will always be an alcoholic, he has changed his life around. He has opened and runs a few half-way houses for recovering alcoholics. He gives them a place to go and supports them when they have no place to turn to, just like my family did for him. My uncle has taken the experience he has gone through and is using it to better other people’s lives that are in the same predicament. He is now the executive chef at a restaurant and sober for five plus years. He has persevered and said “No more” to the life which would lead to certain death. This is why he is my hero. A hero to me is not someone who can conquer supernatural things but instead, someone who can conquer the things standing in their way and helping people do as they did.

My uncle is a hero; to me and all the people who he has helped. Through overwhelming adversity and unconceivable odds my uncle has shown me not only what not to do but what a person can achieve if they just put their mind to it no matter the choices they made in their past.