STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

my hero is my father

ismith0614
Ivy smith
9-25-10
My hero is my father
Ever since I can remember my father was some of great strength who I looked up to for everything. His life story and struggles always made me have respect for him and his beliefs.
From birth, my dad never had it easy from abusive step fathers to getting kicked out at 17. He always knew he would have to work hard for anything he wanted in life. At age 18 my dad joined the navy looking for some kind of direction in life. My mother and father met in the eighties and for the first time my dad had a sense of love and family. My dad would come to learn that my mom’s family was a true family, everyone knowing everyone’s business and loving each other unconditionally. He fell right into step with them, from helping fix roofs and painting to cooking family dinners. He was the true family man all he needed was a true family.
This was one of the most important things I learned from him, always be there for your family because these people will always be there for you. Growing up my dad always made sure my sister and me knew that no matter what never feel sorry for self because you will get through it coming out stronger. The love in my home was something I always felt because my father never wanted me to go what he went through not knowing what love was. He toke care of his three girls (my mom, sister and me) by doing anything we couldn’t do.
In 2003, my father would have an accident no one saw coming. While in the mountains riding his motorcycle he would crash and fall down the mountain side. He became paralyzed from his waist down. A man who was so hands on in his life being paralyzed was a curse. Over the next three years my father would struggle with his disability. My mother’s family was there helping every step of the way. My mother, sister and me learned so many new things my father had done form cooking to mowing the grass. He use to joke and say god only kept me on this earth to make sure my three girls wouldn’t be helpless. In those three years I became stronger then I knew possible. He watched his three girls become strong and more independent. My father who was slowly dying was too strong to let life beat him. On November 21, 2006 my father decided to end his own life feeling as though he had lived a good life. The next few years would be hard but his memories would live on in my family making us all stronger as a family, something he always wanted.

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy