my hero is my father

ismith0614
Ivy smith
9-25-10
1
My hero is my father
Ever since I can remember my father was some of great strength who I looked up to for everything. His life story and struggles always made me have respect for him and his beliefs.
From birth, my dad never had it easy from abusive step fathers to getting kicked out at 17. He always knew he would have to work hard for anything he wanted in life. At age 18 my dad joined the navy looking for some kind of direction in life. My mother and father met in the eighties and for the first time my dad had a sense of love and family. My dad would come to learn that my mom’s family was a true family, everyone knowing everyone’s business and loving each other unconditionally. He fell right into step with them, from helping fix roofs and painting to cooking family dinners. He was the true family man all he needed was a true family.
This was one of the most important things I learned from him, always be there for your family because these people will always be there for you. Growing up my dad always made sure my sister and me knew that no matter what never feel sorry for self because you will get through it coming out stronger. The love in my home was something I always felt because my father never wanted me to go what he went through not knowing what love was. He toke care of his three girls (my mom, sister and me) by doing anything we couldn’t do.
In 2003, my father would have an accident no one saw coming. While in the mountains riding his motorcycle he would crash and fall down the mountain side. He became paralyzed from his waist down. A man who was so hands on in his life being paralyzed was a curse. Over the next three years my father would struggle with his disability. My mother’s family was there helping every step of the way. My mother, sister and me learned so many new things my father had done form cooking to mowing the grass. He use to joke and say god only kept me on this earth to make sure my three girls wouldn’t be helpless. In those three years I became stronger then I knew possible. He watched his three girls become strong and more independent. My father who was slowly dying was too strong to let life beat him. On November 21, 2006 my father decided to end his own life feeling as though he had lived a good life. The next few years would be hard but his memories would live on in my family making us all stronger as a family, something he always wanted.