STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Hero is Nick Jonas

swoodgrad11
What makes a hero? They don’t have to be physically strong or fight an evil nemesis. Inspiration is the key. Nick Jonas, the 18 year old rock star and one-third of the phenomenon called the Jonas Brothers has inspired me through his struggle with diabetes and his support of children in need.

Back in 2005, Nick was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes after experiencing weight loss, fatigue, and mood swings. At that time the Jonas family was just beginning to tour and perform, and the diagnosing and learning process was a crazy time for everyone. Nick even wondered if he would be able to continue making music, but he decided that he wasn’t going to let diabetes slow him down. He didn’t use his sickness as an excuse to give up. “Why me?” turned into “Why not me?” Ever since he announced his diagnosis in March 2007, Nick has used his experience to encourage children and young adults who have gone through the same thing, to be a positive light in a scary situation. It’s great when celebrities use their popularity and wealth to support a cause, but someone with personal experience can be so much more inspirational because they know exactly how it feels. I myself in 2007 was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease, which is an auto-immune sickness with no cure, just like diabetes. When I realized Nick had Type 1, I was inspired by his bravery and perseverance. It took courage for him to share his story, and he has inspired other kids to do the same. He has shown the world that an unforeseen hardship can be a blessing in disguise…and your means of becoming a hero.

“We started The Change for the Children Foundation to support programs that motivate and inspire children to face adversity with confidence, determination and a will to succeed.” This is the mission statement for the Jonas Brothers’ organization that encourages kids to help their peers who are a little less fortunate. One of the supported programs is the American Diabetes Association. Nick is actively encouraging others with diabetes, raising awareness, and supporting research to find a cure. He wrote a song about living with diabetes and even carries a supply of guitar picks to give away when he meets a new “diabetic buddy” as a symbol of their connection. Nick and his brothers have realized that their spotlight has given them a wonderful opportunity to help make a difference in a world where life isn’t always easy. Through his story, Nick has proven that we all have something in common and can use our experiences to brighten the lives of others.

In essence, Nick Jonas has used his diabetes and passion for supporting others to be a source of encouragement and inspiration. He is a hero. He’s taught me that all it takes is a positive attitude and a willingness to share your story, no matter how old you are. You never know what a difference it could make.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy