My hero is my father.

Brobertson
A hero by definition is someone who, in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, displays courage and the will for self sacrifice for the good of man.
My hero has a lot of qualities like this. They don’t have the stereotypical comic book hero qualities like super strength, the ability to fly, or laser vision. They do however demonstrate the qualities of an everyday hero. They have worked for the life that they wanted their family and themselves to have. This hero is my father.

Joining the military at 17, straight out of high school is a lot of people of this age. This though, is what made my father the person he is today. The qualities that were instilled in him throughout his Air Force career helped him learn what was really important in life. Money, going out partying, not being any art of it. Family, close friends, a stable living was what everyone should strive for. That’s exactly what he did. As soon as he retired from the military, after 12 years of serving the country, he went out to look for a stable career. Little did he know, he would come to find one that he has been doing for 20 years, up to this very day. With my father doing this, he taught us that stable jobs is possible, even with the economy how it is today. The qualities like this is partly what pushed me to do well in school, so that I could get into college, and get a job that was as stable and well-paying as his.

The care that my father has shown for others in his lifetime is insurmountable. Dropping everything to move from Denver Colorado to Jacksonville Florida to help out a brother who was struggling to keep a stable job helps to show this. Having to start anew after everything he had in Colorado wasn’t a problem for him. The fact that someone he know and loved was struggling to making a living, was in fact a problem to him, though. Giving up the home he owned, the job that he had, everything was just a part of life to him. This feature of his personality is what I try to follow in my everyday life.

Features like these is what everyone needs to believe a hero really is. Not the comic book hero everyone equates the word with. The ability to help, to teach, and to learn are the real qualities of a hero. Not the ability to fly, have super strength, etc. People like my father with qualities like these is what I strive to be, and hope to become.