STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My hero is my father.

Brobertson
A hero by definition is someone who, in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, displays courage and the will for self sacrifice for the good of man.
My hero has a lot of qualities like this. They don’t have the stereotypical comic book hero qualities like super strength, the ability to fly, or laser vision. They do however demonstrate the qualities of an everyday hero. They have worked for the life that they wanted their family and themselves to have. This hero is my father.

Joining the military at 17, straight out of high school is a lot of people of this age. This though, is what made my father the person he is today. The qualities that were instilled in him throughout his Air Force career helped him learn what was really important in life. Money, going out partying, not being any art of it. Family, close friends, a stable living was what everyone should strive for. That’s exactly what he did. As soon as he retired from the military, after 12 years of serving the country, he went out to look for a stable career. Little did he know, he would come to find one that he has been doing for 20 years, up to this very day. With my father doing this, he taught us that stable jobs is possible, even with the economy how it is today. The qualities like this is partly what pushed me to do well in school, so that I could get into college, and get a job that was as stable and well-paying as his.

The care that my father has shown for others in his lifetime is insurmountable. Dropping everything to move from Denver Colorado to Jacksonville Florida to help out a brother who was struggling to keep a stable job helps to show this. Having to start anew after everything he had in Colorado wasn’t a problem for him. The fact that someone he know and loved was struggling to making a living, was in fact a problem to him, though. Giving up the home he owned, the job that he had, everything was just a part of life to him. This feature of his personality is what I try to follow in my everyday life.

Features like these is what everyone needs to believe a hero really is. Not the comic book hero everyone equates the word with. The ability to help, to teach, and to learn are the real qualities of a hero. Not the ability to fly, have super strength, etc. People like my father with qualities like these is what I strive to be, and hope to become.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy