My Hero is MSGT Doty

nzone
Throughout history there have been hundreds of stories that have been told about heroes. They have saved civilizations from starvation, super-villains, natural disasters, and other catastrophes; portrayed as either gods and goddesses, or a super heroes in spandex, capes, and have magical powers. However, there is one person that I know that has done so much for his family, his country, and his students and I consider a hero and that is my AFJROTC instructor MSGT Doty. His service to his country and his dedication to providing a role model for his students has given him the effect on, not just me, but a countless number of students that consider him an everyday hero in their lives.

20 years of service to the US Air Force and 13 years of service of being an AFJROTC he has made dedication to the United States a lifestyle choice. By enlisting in the Air Force out of high school and going through basic training he went on his way to being an aircraft mechanic for the Air Force that always has airspace authority. A little less than a decade into his career he was soon chosen to become a Non-Commissioned Officer, a sergeant, which gave him the responsibility of being in charge of under ranking airman while working on a 15 million dollar air craft, before you introduce a pilot. The dedication to making sure that everyone was completing their job at a 110 percent and that everyone was paying attention to detail, allowed him to never lose an aircraft due to mechanical failure. Before actual retirement from the Air Force he was selected by Col. James Brown to become the ASI at Sandalwoods JROTC unit. Under his direction and aide to the Col and the Cadets they have accomplished winning the Distinguished Unit Award 12 of the 13 years, a task very hard to complete.

When he first started at Sandalwood he may have come on a little strong to the cadets but presented someone to look up to. He strives to make his cadets achieve above and beyond their goals. “Lead from the front, lead by example.” This is the quote that most of the cadets will remember from the Sarge. He lives and breathes this quote and never sways away from it. All of the cadets that have ever offered praise for Sarge and thank him for all he has done, he always turns it down and lets that cadets know that it was them that accomplished the task. MSGT Doty has left an everlasting impression at Sandalwood High School and an eternal impact on my life and all of the cadets that he has helped mentor.

Master Sergeant Doty is a man of endless talents, which lives and breathes what he teaches. He is a man that will always remain in the hearts of those lives he has touched and I know I will always thank him for what he has done for me.