My Hero is Chona

adelatorre
My hero isn’t somebody who fell into a radioactive tub and gained invincible powers over night. Nor has my hero been accidently injected with poison by a laboratory insect. In fact, to everyone else, my hero may seem like an average mother and that she is obligated to tend to her children. Sure it’s cliché that I chose my mother as my hero; but beyond the laser eye-vision and invisibility, she is a true hero.
If my mother were perfect, admiration would be unlikely. Only because something that is perfect, it is not only impossible, but it also brings about envious emotions. I am glad she has made mistakes because it evidence that she is human. It proves that supernatural powers aren’t the only characteristics that qualify someone as a hero. My mother has natural powers, the power to teach and influence someone into the right path. From her mishaps she can generate a lesson. For example, after she graduated she planned to go to college, then realized she had another responsibility—me. When we meet hindrance financially and emotionally, it always led back to finishing higher education. The conversation mostly consisted of her conversing, however besides that, it became effective.
There is one particular event that made me truly appreciate my mother. The summer of 2005, we were border line poor. We were evicted from a three-bedroom house, which we shared with two other families, and had to move to a mobile home park. I wasn’t worried about my social status, mostly because we were worrying about what our next meal was going to be and scraping up change to buy gas for the generator. Every night I cried from hunger. I cried from the three fans that merely circulated the Florida’s humidity and didn’t stop it from suffocating me. I cried because I felt like all my hard work shouldn’t have aggregated to this. I imagined the embarrassment my mother would face when she told our indirect family that she didn’t have money to provide for her children. Then, I found more tears escaping my eyes because I knew what would happen to kids when their parents became “unable”. They were sent to foster homes to dine with people that God didn’t embed with the “gift of giving life” to. The thing is my mother never left. Never once did she give up her children to live a better life, like my father. Never once did she forget to enlighten me from the darkness that empowered us at the time and I thank her.
My mother is my motivation, the reason why I want to continue education after high school. As my foundation, she has given me the objective to excel beyond standards. If anything ever fails in my life, I know my mother will be standing steps behind. The least I can do for the positive influence is return the favor.