STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Hero is Chona

adelatorre
My hero isn’t somebody who fell into a radioactive tub and gained invincible powers over night. Nor has my hero been accidently injected with poison by a laboratory insect. In fact, to everyone else, my hero may seem like an average mother and that she is obligated to tend to her children. Sure it’s cliché that I chose my mother as my hero; but beyond the laser eye-vision and invisibility, she is a true hero.
If my mother were perfect, admiration would be unlikely. Only because something that is perfect, it is not only impossible, but it also brings about envious emotions. I am glad she has made mistakes because it evidence that she is human. It proves that supernatural powers aren’t the only characteristics that qualify someone as a hero. My mother has natural powers, the power to teach and influence someone into the right path. From her mishaps she can generate a lesson. For example, after she graduated she planned to go to college, then realized she had another responsibility—me. When we meet hindrance financially and emotionally, it always led back to finishing higher education. The conversation mostly consisted of her conversing, however besides that, it became effective.
There is one particular event that made me truly appreciate my mother. The summer of 2005, we were border line poor. We were evicted from a three-bedroom house, which we shared with two other families, and had to move to a mobile home park. I wasn’t worried about my social status, mostly because we were worrying about what our next meal was going to be and scraping up change to buy gas for the generator. Every night I cried from hunger. I cried from the three fans that merely circulated the Florida’s humidity and didn’t stop it from suffocating me. I cried because I felt like all my hard work shouldn’t have aggregated to this. I imagined the embarrassment my mother would face when she told our indirect family that she didn’t have money to provide for her children. Then, I found more tears escaping my eyes because I knew what would happen to kids when their parents became “unable”. They were sent to foster homes to dine with people that God didn’t embed with the “gift of giving life” to. The thing is my mother never left. Never once did she give up her children to live a better life, like my father. Never once did she forget to enlighten me from the darkness that empowered us at the time and I thank her.
My mother is my motivation, the reason why I want to continue education after high school. As my foundation, she has given me the objective to excel beyond standards. If anything ever fails in my life, I know my mother will be standing steps behind. The least I can do for the positive influence is return the favor.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy