My Hero is Sicily

tjackson265
Everyone has a childhood friend they grew up with, whether later in life they ceased communication or became lifelong friends. Sicily. Since 4th grade, first soccer season, I knew Sicily and since then she has grown into an affectionate and determined individual. I admire her ability to subjugate that hardships that are casted upon her, as well as her courage and inner strength to always try and do better.
At some point in school high school images strike some students. Body image being the biggest, hit Sicily the hardest. She constantly had this ideal that she was as skinny as she wanted to be. Instead of popcorn at the movies, she brought carrots. Instead of chewing gum, like the rest of us, she counted how much calories and sugars the gum had. The situation got worse as every day came passing. Pretty soon I discovered that it went from counting calories to not eating at all. Anorexia. She succumbed to sickness her body thrived on. She got smaller; her collar bone was in plain sight and playing soccer became a problem instead of a hobby. When she realized that food was necessity and started seeing a psychiatrist, she slowly progressed to full nourishment. Even though she was progressing, her mind still was not mentally capable yet. Soon her mind became aware of the increased consumption of food. Vomiting became option number two. Bulimia. I watched how she self deteriorated, in pure sadness and longing to help her. When the sickness became really bad to where the vomiting sessions became about three times a week, she and I knew she had a problem. With intense therapy sessions and nutritional help she progressed to self sufficiency. Even though her mind was still in the conscious mode of not wanting to eat or vomiting, she forced herself to get through it mentally and physically. It wasn’t easy, and it brought unspeakable pains and devastation that caused her a great amount of stress from time to time.
Adding to the sickness came a new type of pain. Self-mutilation. It wasn’t until some months later she confided in me that she had cuts over arms. I saw the cuts engraved in her skin. They were so deep, they looked like welts, ascending up her arm. Another way for her mind to recant and control the anxiety the sickness had recently given her. It was then where she need love, family and friends the most. After all, she was affectionate, and cared about everyone. After the extensive therapy sessions, she was in recovery, physically. Mentally the pain was still there, and she still fights it till this day.
In essence, Sicily, one of my best friends, had suffered much through her course of high school. She is my hero because of her ability to know she is spiraling out of control and be able to keep herself in check. She is the epitome of success and I greatly appreciate and admire that.