STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Hero is Sicily

tjackson265
Everyone has a childhood friend they grew up with, whether later in life they ceased communication or became lifelong friends. Sicily. Since 4th grade, first soccer season, I knew Sicily and since then she has grown into an affectionate and determined individual. I admire her ability to subjugate that hardships that are casted upon her, as well as her courage and inner strength to always try and do better.
At some point in school high school images strike some students. Body image being the biggest, hit Sicily the hardest. She constantly had this ideal that she was as skinny as she wanted to be. Instead of popcorn at the movies, she brought carrots. Instead of chewing gum, like the rest of us, she counted how much calories and sugars the gum had. The situation got worse as every day came passing. Pretty soon I discovered that it went from counting calories to not eating at all. Anorexia. She succumbed to sickness her body thrived on. She got smaller; her collar bone was in plain sight and playing soccer became a problem instead of a hobby. When she realized that food was necessity and started seeing a psychiatrist, she slowly progressed to full nourishment. Even though she was progressing, her mind still was not mentally capable yet. Soon her mind became aware of the increased consumption of food. Vomiting became option number two. Bulimia. I watched how she self deteriorated, in pure sadness and longing to help her. When the sickness became really bad to where the vomiting sessions became about three times a week, she and I knew she had a problem. With intense therapy sessions and nutritional help she progressed to self sufficiency. Even though her mind was still in the conscious mode of not wanting to eat or vomiting, she forced herself to get through it mentally and physically. It wasn’t easy, and it brought unspeakable pains and devastation that caused her a great amount of stress from time to time.
Adding to the sickness came a new type of pain. Self-mutilation. It wasn’t until some months later she confided in me that she had cuts over arms. I saw the cuts engraved in her skin. They were so deep, they looked like welts, ascending up her arm. Another way for her mind to recant and control the anxiety the sickness had recently given her. It was then where she need love, family and friends the most. After all, she was affectionate, and cared about everyone. After the extensive therapy sessions, she was in recovery, physically. Mentally the pain was still there, and she still fights it till this day.
In essence, Sicily, one of my best friends, had suffered much through her course of high school. She is my hero because of her ability to know she is spiraling out of control and be able to keep herself in check. She is the epitome of success and I greatly appreciate and admire that.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy