My Hero is Hayao Miyazaki

KNC
Out of the billions of creative and imaginative people on this planet, to me Hayao Miyazaki is the most vivid. Due to his impressive and thought provoking animation work and strive for original works of art, he is my hero.

Miyazaki is a Japanese native and famous animator who has been animating for five decades and continues to do so. He co-founded his own animation studio, studio Ghibli, which is famous for its top quality animated films such as Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, which have become vastly popular. Anybody in the animation world or those who enjoy watching animation films that go beyond the slapstick humor of everyday cartoons knows his work. He creates beautiful and detailed art where if it was only music and the animation without dialogue, it would still be a hit. Miyazaki isn't just an animator; he's a film director, screenwriter, and character designer. He takes everything he does seriously and wholeheartedly, and uses his talents to the fullest to bring about superior animated films. Taking 16 years to fully develop the story and characters for the movie Princess Mononoke is impressive, and a person's talent isn't registered by how much time they spend on something but the quality of the final output, this shows how determined he is to create a perfect story. He doesn't let his many box office hits impede on his vision of creating unique work such as how he describes with this quote, “I never read reviews. I'm not interested. But I value a lot the reactions of the spectators.”

To stand vibrant among the mass crowd of creativity, Miyazaki uses various themes closer to humanity and there interactions with the world and change through nature, and the main characters themselves. The film Spirited Away, shows a spoiled girl, Chihiro, taken to an unfamiliar world where the people who live there too long begin to forget who they are. The film symbolizes her journey from childhood to adulthood, where she forgets her childhood identity and can only mature from then on if she wishes to return back home. With the fantasy aspects, visual presentation, and rich characters, Miyazaki takes this coming-of-age trope and makes it something more. And as a child who has grown up on Disney films that have a similar and general meaning, makes his movie something unforgettable.

A dream of mine is to be a top quality animator, one that creates original and unique stories, and like Miyazaki, be able to inspire others to break the boundaries of what’s already laid out for them and do the same. Anybody could do any job in the world; even become an animator if they try hard enough. However, only a few can be exceptionally good; to be able to create distinctive pieces of art with a grand story that has a strong sense that speaks to the audience, and Miyazaki is the very definition of that. That is why, he is my hero.