My Hero is My Friend

broom.rachel
Heroes are not always tough. My friend, Wilfred, represents a hero due to his courage and determination throughout his life. He always stays strong through the rough times and continues to be focused during hectic hours.

"Whatever you are, be a good one,” said Abraham Lincoln. As I grew up I never really had a family to call my own or someone by my side to help me through my struggles. The first year in high school I was devastated because I had no clue what to expect that year since no one was there to comfort me. When Wilfred and I became close friends, I began to look up to him as he assisted me through my conflicts. I was the type of student to slack off and wait till the last minute to do work, however Wilfred was always determined to do his assignments early or at least on time. I saw that being determined to succeed in life was important and less stressful than the road I was taking. I thought I had a hard life with my parents being separated and having to take care of my brother while going to school at the same time. Wilfred was going through problems with not having a father and having a mother that always worked and never having anyone to look up to for guidance however he was always on top of his work. It showed me that even though people may be going through tough situations behind closed doors it does not mean that people cannot accomplish their goals throughout their lives.

“The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure,” said Sven Eriksson. My friend demonstrated his attributes by going against the crowd and doing what is right for him and others. In spite of criticism he stood up for himself when he knew everyone thought he would never make it in life. He had the courage to face peoples hurtful words and do what he believed in anyways. I was the type to follow the crowd because I did not want to be the odd ball. However Wilfred taught me that being the outcast is not always a bad thing. I broke out my shell and did what my family has always told me I would not be able to do, I achieved my goals through the doubts people had on me. Wilfred gave me the courage to stand up against the negative words and do what I knew was the right thing even though it may have been difficult.

He had the courage to show people that did not believe in him that he could do anything in life, and he succeeded through his determination. Wilfred is my hero because he helped me through my battles that I thought I would have to face alone. A hero to me is someone that has the power to face difficult obstacles and succeed when people do not have faith in them.