STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Hero is My Friend

broom.rachel
Heroes are not always tough. My friend, Wilfred, represents a hero due to his courage and determination throughout his life. He always stays strong through the rough times and continues to be focused during hectic hours.

"Whatever you are, be a good one,” said Abraham Lincoln. As I grew up I never really had a family to call my own or someone by my side to help me through my struggles. The first year in high school I was devastated because I had no clue what to expect that year since no one was there to comfort me. When Wilfred and I became close friends, I began to look up to him as he assisted me through my conflicts. I was the type of student to slack off and wait till the last minute to do work, however Wilfred was always determined to do his assignments early or at least on time. I saw that being determined to succeed in life was important and less stressful than the road I was taking. I thought I had a hard life with my parents being separated and having to take care of my brother while going to school at the same time. Wilfred was going through problems with not having a father and having a mother that always worked and never having anyone to look up to for guidance however he was always on top of his work. It showed me that even though people may be going through tough situations behind closed doors it does not mean that people cannot accomplish their goals throughout their lives.

“The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure,” said Sven Eriksson. My friend demonstrated his attributes by going against the crowd and doing what is right for him and others. In spite of criticism he stood up for himself when he knew everyone thought he would never make it in life. He had the courage to face peoples hurtful words and do what he believed in anyways. I was the type to follow the crowd because I did not want to be the odd ball. However Wilfred taught me that being the outcast is not always a bad thing. I broke out my shell and did what my family has always told me I would not be able to do, I achieved my goals through the doubts people had on me. Wilfred gave me the courage to stand up against the negative words and do what I knew was the right thing even though it may have been difficult.

He had the courage to show people that did not believe in him that he could do anything in life, and he succeeded through his determination. Wilfred is my hero because he helped me through my battles that I thought I would have to face alone. A hero to me is someone that has the power to face difficult obstacles and succeed when people do not have faith in them.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy