STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Hero is My Grandmother

melonfields
My grandmother was an immigrant, a victim of Parkinson’s disease, and a bread flower sculptor. Her room always smelled like fresh-baked bread, soft as wet clay, with the faintest whisper of ginger clinging to the edges of all the furniture. When I was younger, I’d always shuffle quietly in for visits, with the scents and distinct Korean style of the room transporting me into a different realm, one I knew I should have been familiar with. As a second generation Korean, my grandmother’s room was like a magic castle filled with clues to my identity; I loved to explore the closet, and to try reading the books written in a language I could just barely understand. Her room was filled with Oriental beauty, but the most elegant things were my grandmother’s hands.
My grandmother’s hands always shook. There were slight tremors, and things like writing and making dumplings took longer for her than it did for others. I’d always thought it was a sign of age, and it wasn’t until much later that my mother explained to me the motor disorder that was Parkinson’s disease. However, despite the shaking and slowness, my grandmother’s hands were the strongest, the most precise, and the most beautiful things in the world when she sculpted her bread flowers. After mixing a combination of white bread and Elmer’s glue into clay, my grandmother would color and mold the clay into flower arrangements. She would take a small bit of clay, and fold and cut it to create anything from daisies to lilies. Pink roses were her favorite; she made dozens of clay wreathes with roses as the focus. She would even teach me how to make a few simple flowers, and use them in her arrangements. My small hands quivered almost as much as her experienced ones, as I stressed over making each flower perfect, so as not to ruin my grandmother’s arrangements.
My grandmother was a fighter. Despite her disease, she continued creating arrangements until the moment she died. Maybe the stubbornness was something she was forced to develop as an immigrant. After all, she did have to raise six children as a widow, in a country that spoke a language she couldn’t understand. Despite the struggles and poverty, she managed to send all her children to college, and all eventually found relative success. My uncles, aunt, and father love to remind us, the second generation, of the reason why we can live in comfortable homes; it all comes down to my grandmother, and her perseverance. Because of this, my hero is my grandmother. As weak as she seemed, reliant on her walker and always trembling as she was, my grandmother was stronger than anyone I know. Even though she’s gone now, the memory of her efforts and fighting spirit continue to linger; on the wall of my room hangs a clay flower arrangement, brightly colored and smelling slightly of fresh bread and ginger.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy