My Hero, Lady GaGa

SheilaPeou
Although many people see her as a “weird, attention seeking” pop star, I consider Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, better known as Lady GaGa, my hero. Sure, everyone else may have chosen someone a bit more ‘down-to-Earth’, but looking beyond the fame and her infamous crazy outfits is, nonetheless, one of the most realist and most influential people in the world. In a society where nobodies can become famous effortlessly with the use of the internet, she continues to be an innovative artist. She holds a unique place in pop music with starting new movements in pop culture.

Most people would disapprove of Lady GaGa’s flashy outfits and her music, which has been said to “lack intellectual stimulation”, but whether you like it or not, she always manages to catch your attention. Her voice what originally started her career as a pop star. It captured the attention of produced and singer, Akon, who signed her to his label. Listening to her acoustic music, her natural voice was strong and pure. Now, she is a world famous pop star, but she still manages to be herself. Her provocative style suits her, which explains why she often goes out and performs in outfits made from random objects, such as meat or Kermit the Frog puppets. She doesn’t care for the controversy that follows her, she is comfortable with who she is and the title of her future upcoming album says it all, it’s because she was “Born This Way”.

Not only is Gaga a performer, she is also a gay rights activist. She attributes much of her success as a mainstream artist to the LGBT community, who consider her a gay icon. One of her first televised performances was on the Logo channel, the LGBT television network. Last year on October 11, 2009, GaGa attended the National Equality March rally in Washington D.C. and also delivered a speech, where she claimed it was the “biggest moment of her career”. Recently this month, she delivered a message to the Senate in favor of repealing the U.S. Military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy. Days later, she was escorted by ex-servicemen who were discharged or left the military as the result of the "don't ask" policy at the MTV Video Music Awards.

She’s not an ordinary pop star. Compared as this generation’s Madonna by media critics, she continues to rise up and make a stand in what she believes in, whether it’s for others or for herself, and from the looks of it, she’s not going away anytime soon like a one-hit wonder song.