STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Hero Is Autumn Swafford.

ReeseJensen
Although she's not famous, my mother is an amazing, strong, independent, phenomenal woman. I'm sure anyone was has had the pleasure of meeting her would agree. My mother is a big motivation and inspiration to me. I know everyone feels this way towards their mom but mine would take your breath away. Born into an abusive household with an alcoholic mother and absent father, my mother did not have a fabulous lifestyle, but she still managed to see the good in people. She didn't dwell on the bad. She only focused on the positive and that's what makes her so strong today. She hit a couple of bumps in the road just as anyone would have if put in the position. She got pregnant at the age of 17 then again at 18. But her willpower kept her going. She never attended college, but hey with two children fresh out the oven and no money in the bank who could? She still managed to find a job. Inconveniently enough my wonderful mom worked at a job for mostly men. She didn't always get treated fairly but she stuck by it. Then at age 30 after her life was back on track she managed to do the unthinkable. What is the unthinkable you ask..? To have another child. A beautiful baby girl. Me! With a new child on the way my mother still worked. I guess she had to though. She had three children now and no daddy. She worked all the way up until delivery day. April 10, 1996 I was born. My mother took off for two weeks until she could find a nanny. She stayed faithful for her job. In fact she's still working there after 17 years. If that's not dedication then what is..? Growing up with my brothers was very rough. Let's just say they weren't the best pumpkins in the patch. They got in trouble at school all the time. Smoked weed and dropped out. Seeing my mom crying at 2:00 AM because she had no knowledge of where they were or what they were doing started to take a toll on my life and hers. They were constantly in and out of jail. I vowed I would be different. Something inside of my couldn't see her cry anymore. Then my brother decided to have sex with his girlfriend also addicted to meth. She got pregnant. But when she found out they were both incarcerated and no one could take care of it. So my mom took on the responsibility involuntarily. We loved that baby unconditionally. Two months later it died of S.I.D.S . It killed my mother and I. But we moved on. She still struggles with her sons. She is a very strong woman and I commend her for it. With a tear in my eye I write this last sentence with passion and sorrow. I hope one day I can be just like her!!
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy