Patriotism: Bleeding Red, White, and Blue--an Allegory for America

Pen 'n Paper
I once knew of an eight-year-old girl named Angela: petite, spunky, and sweet. A child her parents vowed to never let go.
“Where to next, George? Barcelona? Tokyo?” Charlotte sighed, gazing at the postcard-laden refrigerator. She took another swig from yet another beer bottle.
“Hold your horses, Charlotte. We just got back from Paris! Relax,” George suggested.
George kissed his wife on the forehead, and whispered, “I’m going out for a quick ride. Go to sleep.” He grabbed his helmet and headed for the door.
Charlotte froze. “You can’t! It’s pouring. Don’t.”
“I’ll be fine.” George insisted, closing the door. Charlotte stared after him, downed another sip of beer, and went to sleep.
Angela lay in bed, stroking her bruised cheek from earlier that night. Her bedroom door remained locked as usual, so her parents could not come in. She turned over in her bed and began to pray.
“Please God, let daddy and mommy not hit me anymore. Help me run away. Please… Amen.”
Angela would never be marked by George’s hands again. That night, George suddenly entered the blurred field of vision of an impaired driver. George was launched from his bicycle, and crimson stripes painted the pallid sidewalk, leading toward his motionless body. The sky cried.
***
Preparing for George’s funeral, Charlotte placed Angela’s dainty, black dress over a chair. “Angela, get your dress.”
Angela entered in a wrinkled blue and white checkered dress. Charlotte turned around. “You can’t wear that to daddy’s funeral. Put this on.” Her mother handed Angela the black dress.
“No, mommy. I’m wearing this today,” Angela rebelled; she turned and walked away.
At the funeral, Angela watched her mother embrace a sea of weeping strangers. Angela looked out toward the field—a glowing light! What was it? Angela broke free from the crowd, scampering toward the light. As she came closer, she saw a tall man dressed in white, miraculously levitating and smiling down at her. Without hesitation, Angela leapt toward the figure, reaching up for his hand—a hand she could not grab. Angela now realized she was in a beautiful, blinding white gown. She looked down and saw herself lying on the rocks below—blood steadily soaking her blue and white dress. Angela looked back at her mother, the crowd, and her father’s casket. Then she and her new Father locked eyes, smiled, soared forward, and never looked back.
What does it mean to be patriotic? To find everlasting hope in something we cannot see but insist on believing in, whether it be freedom, God, or some other ideal or entity. We should all be proud of Angela. She endured hardships, yet she persisted. She broke free from oppression, and she began anew. Injured, but still alive. Hurt, but still hopeful. God bless her.

Author’s note: This is an allegory for America during the American Revolution. Angela represents America and her parents represent Great Britain during the reign of King George and Queen Charlotte.