STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Patriotism: Bleeding Red, White, and Blue--an Allegory for America

Pen 'n Paper
I once knew of an eight-year-old girl named Angela: petite, spunky, and sweet. A child her parents vowed to never let go.
“Where to next, George? Barcelona? Tokyo?” Charlotte sighed, gazing at the postcard-laden refrigerator. She took another swig from yet another beer bottle.
“Hold your horses, Charlotte. We just got back from Paris! Relax,” George suggested.
George kissed his wife on the forehead, and whispered, “I’m going out for a quick ride. Go to sleep.” He grabbed his helmet and headed for the door.
Charlotte froze. “You can’t! It’s pouring. Don’t.”
“I’ll be fine.” George insisted, closing the door. Charlotte stared after him, downed another sip of beer, and went to sleep.
Angela lay in bed, stroking her bruised cheek from earlier that night. Her bedroom door remained locked as usual, so her parents could not come in. She turned over in her bed and began to pray.
“Please God, let daddy and mommy not hit me anymore. Help me run away. Please… Amen.”
Angela would never be marked by George’s hands again. That night, George suddenly entered the blurred field of vision of an impaired driver. George was launched from his bicycle, and crimson stripes painted the pallid sidewalk, leading toward his motionless body. The sky cried.
Preparing for George’s funeral, Charlotte placed Angela’s dainty, black dress over a chair. “Angela, get your dress.”
Angela entered in a wrinkled blue and white checkered dress. Charlotte turned around. “You can’t wear that to daddy’s funeral. Put this on.” Her mother handed Angela the black dress.
“No, mommy. I’m wearing this today,” Angela rebelled; she turned and walked away.
At the funeral, Angela watched her mother embrace a sea of weeping strangers. Angela looked out toward the field—a glowing light! What was it? Angela broke free from the crowd, scampering toward the light. As she came closer, she saw a tall man dressed in white, miraculously levitating and smiling down at her. Without hesitation, Angela leapt toward the figure, reaching up for his hand—a hand she could not grab. Angela now realized she was in a beautiful, blinding white gown. She looked down and saw herself lying on the rocks below—blood steadily soaking her blue and white dress. Angela looked back at her mother, the crowd, and her father’s casket. Then she and her new Father locked eyes, smiled, soared forward, and never looked back.
What does it mean to be patriotic? To find everlasting hope in something we cannot see but insist on believing in, whether it be freedom, God, or some other ideal or entity. We should all be proud of Angela. She endured hardships, yet she persisted. She broke free from oppression, and she began anew. Injured, but still alive. Hurt, but still hopeful. God bless her.

Author’s note: This is an allegory for America during the American Revolution. Angela represents America and her parents represent Great Britain during the reign of King George and Queen Charlotte.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy