STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Patriotism: The Courage to Hope

Zhango
Patriotism. It is the emotion that inspired colonists to fight against British oppression, encouraged marines to march fearlessly onto the menacing shores of Iwo Jima, and to this day, fuels the competitive spirit that has translated itself into numerous Olympic medals. This same emotion also compelled the South to divide the nation in a bloody Civil War, motivated Joseph McCarthy to fill the Senate with his anti-communist paranoia, and even provoked Edward Snowden to leak top-secret government details to the press. Although these manifestations of “patriotism” may seem to conflict, all these events have one simple thing in common: the belief that change is possible. True patriotism is the courage to believe in one’s nation’s capabilities to amend past mistakes and strive for a brighter future. Simply stated, patriotism is the courage to hope.

Notable American heroes that are now celebrated for their patriotic behavior such as George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and Martin Luther King, etc. all shared aspirations that through their efforts, they could enact positive change in the United States. George Washington believed that with enough determination and sacrifice, a previously divided 13 colonies could disregard their difference and defeat the mightiest empire on Earth in the name of liberty and justice. Abraham Lincoln believed that with his unwavering leadership, he could restore the Union and emancipate slaves that were once the backbone of the American economy. Martin Luther King believed that through peaceful protest, racial equality could exist in a country that was plagued by oppressive Jim Crow Laws and racial eugenics. Although each of these individuals faced different obstacles and fought on different battlefields, their belief in the American System’s capability to undergo positive change has differentiated them as heroes.

Despite the efforts of our forefathers, America has been degraded to a land of warring factions and tribal hatreds. All we hear from our politicians are deflections of criticisms instead of solutions. What passes for debate in Congress has been reduced to little more than a spectacle. Americans have grown accustomed to turn inward, away from the senseless arguments and endless accusations. This is when true patriotism is lost. When individuals begin to lose faith in the persevering nature of the American People and the relevance of our nation’s principles, then they ultimately lose their patriotism.

I love my country because it is filled with hardworking people, a beautiful tradition of acceptance, and limitless freedoms and opportunities. The Democracy we experience in the United States and the power we have as individual citizens is unrivaled in the world. As an American, I have countless ways to express my desires and voice my concerns. As an American, my government is there to protect and preserve my basic human rights. As an American, I am constantly making history through the expression of my opinions. As Americans, WE all need to reestablish our faith in our country and regain our patriotism. WE must have the courage to hope.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

I really enjoyed reading your essay (and kind of wanted to sing the National Anthem when I finished it). Thank you for entering such a well written essay to our contest :)

- Rebecca Thiegs (Stage of Life Co-Founder)
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2013 7:45:23 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Zhango

Thank you so much for your words! I'm very glad that you enjoyed reading my essay! :D
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2013 9:54:09 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy