Patriotism: A Feeling, Not an Act

Mind_of_BP
Every Fourth of July, my family goes to the fair grounds and sits on the side of a hill and watches the fireworks go off. When I think about patriotism, one of the first things that comes to my mind is the fireworks. But what’s so patriotic about exploding flashes of color and sounds? Well, nothing really. It’s not the actual act of setting of fireworks that’s so patriotic; it’s the tradition behind it. When the founding fathers signed the Declaration of Independence, they said that the day would be celebrated for as long as the country lives, by parades, and yes, setting off fireworks. And that’s why we set off fireworks, because it has a feeling behind it that we can relate to how the founding fathers felt. Patriotism isn’t measured in acts or anything similar, because it’s not a physical thing, it’s a feeling; a feeling of love for your country. That feeling might compel you to enlist in the armed forces or become a firefighter, but these aren’t the only ways to show your patriotism. Sometimes, the simplest things can be the greatest acts of patriotism. Flying the flag outside your house, reciting the pledge of allegiance, or even saying “I love America.” See, by simply loving your country, you’re a patriotic. Loving your country can make you do things big and small, bringing up arms to fight for your independence, singing the national anthem. Loving your country can even make you leak documents about privacy to your fellow Americans because you love your country and want your country to know what’s really going on. While not everyone may agree with you, at the end of the day, you love your country, and you’ll do anything for her.