My Hero is My Grandma

14gustafsonm
Dear Diary,
I want to tell my grandma that she’s my hero, but I don’t know how to tell her. I’m not a sappy person but I still want her to know. I don’t always tell her but ever since my maturity level has gone up, I’d look at her and see that I am her. I can see where I get my stubborn streak. I won’t give in and neither does she.
That’s not the only reason she is my hero. My grandma has lost many loved ones. I only know of four that passed away in my 14 years. She has lost two husbands, one very close brother, one son-in-law, one aunt, and if I really wanted to I could probably go on and on. When the four in my lifetime passed away my grandma stayed strong… stronger than anyone could have been in her situation. I never meet my biological grandfather, but I’ve heard he was a great man. Then her brother died and that was kind of in the blue and I could tell she was upset, but she refused to break down with all her grandchildren and family there. You have to understand that I was six maybe seven at the time and my cousins just went down in age from there. By the time my grandpa by marriage passed on due to cancer and other health problems I saw her a little more clearly. I wasn’t worried about playing some childish game like I was when her brother died. I was at the point where I looked at people in the funeral. Everyone was crying; even me. I was looking around and one person, my grandma was crying but not so badly as everyone else. I know she could have cried the most and the loudest, but she was forcing herself to hold back. That day her strength was tested and she survived. She got some scrapes but she got past that day. I believe that’s the day I said that my grandma was my hero. She showed me what I wanted to be like.
All throughout the rest of the year I went about my normal business of eavesdropping on the adults. They were worrying about how my grandma was dealing with the pain. I thought she was okay at the time, but my aunts said that every day was another climb. I felt horrible because the nearest biological family lived one or two hours away. But she would always have a lunch date with people that were in my grandpas’ family, and she had my grandpa and my trusty dog Sammie.
When I grow up I want to be like her; a strong, loving, firm, independent grandma. She pulled through rough times, and on the outside she’s still the same grandma, even though now I’m starting to see that inside she’s probably hurt. She doesn’t need help with household chores, and she can even do work outside. My Grandmas my hero.