STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Hero is My Grandma

14gustafsonm
Dear Diary,
I want to tell my grandma that she’s my hero, but I don’t know how to tell her. I’m not a sappy person but I still want her to know. I don’t always tell her but ever since my maturity level has gone up, I’d look at her and see that I am her. I can see where I get my stubborn streak. I won’t give in and neither does she.
That’s not the only reason she is my hero. My grandma has lost many loved ones. I only know of four that passed away in my 14 years. She has lost two husbands, one very close brother, one son-in-law, one aunt, and if I really wanted to I could probably go on and on. When the four in my lifetime passed away my grandma stayed strong… stronger than anyone could have been in her situation. I never meet my biological grandfather, but I’ve heard he was a great man. Then her brother died and that was kind of in the blue and I could tell she was upset, but she refused to break down with all her grandchildren and family there. You have to understand that I was six maybe seven at the time and my cousins just went down in age from there. By the time my grandpa by marriage passed on due to cancer and other health problems I saw her a little more clearly. I wasn’t worried about playing some childish game like I was when her brother died. I was at the point where I looked at people in the funeral. Everyone was crying; even me. I was looking around and one person, my grandma was crying but not so badly as everyone else. I know she could have cried the most and the loudest, but she was forcing herself to hold back. That day her strength was tested and she survived. She got some scrapes but she got past that day. I believe that’s the day I said that my grandma was my hero. She showed me what I wanted to be like.
All throughout the rest of the year I went about my normal business of eavesdropping on the adults. They were worrying about how my grandma was dealing with the pain. I thought she was okay at the time, but my aunts said that every day was another climb. I felt horrible because the nearest biological family lived one or two hours away. But she would always have a lunch date with people that were in my grandpas’ family, and she had my grandpa and my trusty dog Sammie.
When I grow up I want to be like her; a strong, loving, firm, independent grandma. She pulled through rough times, and on the outside she’s still the same grandma, even though now I’m starting to see that inside she’s probably hurt. She doesn’t need help with household chores, and she can even do work outside. My Grandmas my hero.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy