Patriotism: Why I Should Probably Be Ashamed But Am Anything But

Alli. O
Loving your country, to me, means looking past all the reasons why you should be ashamed of it, all of the unreversable damaged it's caused, and realizing all the reasons why you should be proud of it. When everybody on social media seems to be ranting about why America is such a horrible wasteland with a joke of a economy and more than ten years of damage to clean up from past bad decisions, you need to be able to find the silver lining and I think I've found it. That silver lining is the Fourth of July.
Even though sometimes we forget or never know why we celebrate it until a elementary school history teacher drills it into our brains, the Fourth of July celebrates the illegade day America declared it's independence from Great Britain. On this day Americans usually celebrate by launching fireworks into the sky to explode into a million bright pieces over hot dogs and burgers. My family tradition during the Fourth of July typically features rowdy little kids running about in places they shouldn't be and everyone else trying to avoid getting blown up by my uncles. But its more than just possible fire injury and chasing after little kids. Its a way we as a country come to together to celebrate this one event in history that changed all our lives forever. It's a time when we're allowed to forget about all the stresses we face every day and are meant to enjoy right now when there's a cold Coke in one hand, a hot dog in the other and your watching your uncle about to light an artillery firework a few feet from the back porch while your aunt tries to keep up with your little cousin running pants-less toward the front yard. At that moment, you couldn't be happier or even conscious of how your country's portrayed to other people.
Although America's gotten a bad rap over the past several decades as lazy, fast food-eating, unintelligible, red necks who already owe China their liver, I see my country for what it is and is it everything I just described. Sure, we might be lazy at times but who isn't. Most of the time I see people desperately searching for someway to make a living even if it is scrubbing houses and working their butt off to keep those jobs once they have them. I also see a lot of fast food indulgence but who doesn't like a Mchicken once in a while. We're all human and I know we're not all hicks who sit out on their front porch spitting tabacoo into a jug.
In conclusion, patriotism is loving your country in spite of all it's flaws, it's almost unforgettable past and all the voices shouting to you through the news, TV, internet, etc. about why your country is in such turmoil and focusing on why it's such a great place to gaze at fireworks and enjoy life for one night.