Patriotism: The Blurred Lines

karisclement
By dictionary definition, patriotism is: devoted love, support, and defense of one's country. Yet to some, patriotism is only loving the country itself and not caring about the people that make up the population; to others, patriotism is when you care more about the citizens of the country instead of the country itself. What it means to truly love your country is when one can honestly say that they can respect the differences of the people around them. What it means to be a patriot is that one is open to respecting the different beliefs that many people in America have. I can honestly say that I love the United States of America when the government openly shows respect and honors the rights that all Americans deserve. I know that not all groups in America have equal expression of their rights; but as representation in America is becoming more aware of many different social groups, I can see a real improvement in the rights many Americans are receiving. Over time, I believe many more people will receive the rights, respect, and representation that all American citizens are entitled to.