STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Patriotism: Made in America

kaycaz1015
The Merriam-Webster Learner’s Dictionary defines a patriot as a person who loves and strongly supports or fights for his or her country. At first glance, I am satisfied with this definition. However, after more thought, I begin to ask myself why. Why are people patriotic? In the global society we live in today, why do people feel so loyal to a land who’s boarders were drawn so long ago? With planes, and trains, and cars that can take you everywhere and can bypass geographical boarders, why is your country all that important? As I began to ponder the concept of patriotism and why people care so much about being patriotic, I realized I needed to think a little about why I am so proud to say that I am an American.

I can remember being in 5th grade, and it was our grade’s responsibility to put up the flag before school started and to take it down shortly before dismissal. I always raised my hand, because I was afraid that if I wasn’t there , it wouldn’t be taken down and folded right. I would trudge outside with whomever accompanied on that particular day and be in position to catch the gently descending flag in my arms. Usually my partner would follow my lead and I would instruct them on the proper way to fold it, as my grandfather had taught me. There was a particular afternoon where my partner hadn’t been all that enthusiastic about taking down the flag and allowed his side to touch the ground. I began to cry.

Why did this have such an effect on me? Most kids would just shrug and continue folding. However, I reentered the classroom inconsolable, because the flag had touched the ground on my watch. It was just a piece of cloth. Yet, it means more than that. It stands for that hunk of land that 300 million people share. It stands for all those who’ve ever watched a sunset on the Atlantic, or driven a Chevy truck down a back road at night. It stands for all the awkward prom pictures taken on front porches and spent an afternoon at a ballpark with a hot dog and Coke. It stands for belonging to something bigger.

Maybe that is why there are fireworks on the 4th of July and flags outside every house on my street. Maybe patriotism is the manifestation of the inate human desire to belong, to be a part of something. Everybody wants to feel like they are a part of something, Being a citizen of a country is just that. Patriotism is celebrating being a member of a group of people who experience joys and trials together. They may not always agree, but they work on it. Some are even willing to die in order to protect the things this group holds dear. Patriotism is being proud of who you are, where you come from, and the people you share it with.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy