Patriotism: The Real Meaning of Home

StavNachum
Home isn't the place where you currently reside. It isn't the white picket fence in the front yard, the house you have lived in for the past thirteen years, or the playground in the backyard you haven't used in over a decade. Home is the place where when you see a picture, just a brief glimpse, and you know exactly where it is. Home is the place where when you see it, smell it, or remember it, you feel your insides squirm in excitement and memories flood into your mind. It is the place that when you hear the name mentioned in passing in a conversation, you think to yourself, "Home, that is where I belong, and it is the place I would do anything for."

Living in America for the past fifteen years has not been an easy task as I have always felt a tad out of place among the avid football fans, when all I really know is the soccer from my hometown. My home, the place I had to leave in order to be safe and not have the threat of war, is always in the forefront of my mind as I spend the years in America. My home, the Land of Milk and Honey, the Holy Land, the Land of Promise, the Land of Israel.

My land is the land where mere adolescents join the military to fight for their country, because they know that if they don’t join the fight, Israel is sure to fall to its neighbors. My land is the land where after each victory, the streets fill with cheering people waving flags and banners, letting the world know they are free and they are proud of their country. My land is the land where we all stand together to defend our nation, because if we do not defend it, no one will, and Israel will cease to exist. That is what it means to be patriotic: to stand by your country in times of trouble and to be there when you reach the light at the end of the tunnel to celebrate together. Patriotism is to be there always and forever because there is no place like home.

So while I may live in America, and I have lived here for most of my life, my home will always be my pride and joy. Israel has made it through the darkest of times and still come out on top every single time. Up against good and evil, facing their demons practically face to face, we all stood together as one nation, and isn’t that all that really matters. My country is still standing, still pure and good, and most importantly, still whole. So while it may not always be the safest place to be as a result of constant warfare, there’s nothing I, and the rest of my people, wouldn't do for it because we share a common love, a love for our country.
Comment by KellyNicolas

This is beautifully written, and I enjoyed every moment of it. It was heartfelt, and I feel for you. Great job :)
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 1:42:13 AM