STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Patriotism: The Real Meaning of Home

StavNachum
Home isn't the place where you currently reside. It isn't the white picket fence in the front yard, the house you have lived in for the past thirteen years, or the playground in the backyard you haven't used in over a decade. Home is the place where when you see a picture, just a brief glimpse, and you know exactly where it is. Home is the place where when you see it, smell it, or remember it, you feel your insides squirm in excitement and memories flood into your mind. It is the place that when you hear the name mentioned in passing in a conversation, you think to yourself, "Home, that is where I belong, and it is the place I would do anything for."

Living in America for the past fifteen years has not been an easy task as I have always felt a tad out of place among the avid football fans, when all I really know is the soccer from my hometown. My home, the place I had to leave in order to be safe and not have the threat of war, is always in the forefront of my mind as I spend the years in America. My home, the Land of Milk and Honey, the Holy Land, the Land of Promise, the Land of Israel.

My land is the land where mere adolescents join the military to fight for their country, because they know that if they don’t join the fight, Israel is sure to fall to its neighbors. My land is the land where after each victory, the streets fill with cheering people waving flags and banners, letting the world know they are free and they are proud of their country. My land is the land where we all stand together to defend our nation, because if we do not defend it, no one will, and Israel will cease to exist. That is what it means to be patriotic: to stand by your country in times of trouble and to be there when you reach the light at the end of the tunnel to celebrate together. Patriotism is to be there always and forever because there is no place like home.

So while I may live in America, and I have lived here for most of my life, my home will always be my pride and joy. Israel has made it through the darkest of times and still come out on top every single time. Up against good and evil, facing their demons practically face to face, we all stood together as one nation, and isn’t that all that really matters. My country is still standing, still pure and good, and most importantly, still whole. So while it may not always be the safest place to be as a result of constant warfare, there’s nothing I, and the rest of my people, wouldn't do for it because we share a common love, a love for our country.
Rate this:
Comment by KellyNicolas

This is beautifully written, and I enjoyed every moment of it. It was heartfelt, and I feel for you. Great job :)
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 1:42:13 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy