My hero is my dad

mirandatumilty
Although my dad is not famous, or in the military, or even important in society, he is still my hero. While other people are proud of their fathers, I could not have been blessed with one better than my own.

When I was eight years old, my parents split up. I guess I really didn't understand that my mom would be taking me away until after it happened. When my dad asked me if I wanted to fight for me, I told him no, because I'd been around him and my mother fighting enough when I was little, and truthfully, I just wanted it all to stop. Little did I know what he meant. At eight years old, he'd let me make that decision, and I was only privileged enough to see him every other weekend.

When my half-siblings were older, their mother died in a fire. My dad raised them by himself, and they grew up to be wonderful people. My dad's never had much money, but this year for my birthday, he couldn't have given me a better gift. I had just turned 15 years old, I'd come home from a long day of rehearsing for all-state choir, and he smiled, and told me that for some reason, I looked older. I laughed at him, and he continued driving that hour-long drive to his house. I watched out the window, and we talked about school. He told me about how he'd gone fishing, and we laughed about stupid things him and his friends did. He kissed the top of my head and told me how proud he was of me. I couldn't help the tears swelling up in my eyes. The next day as he drove me back from his house, he hugged me, and told me the hardest part was watching me walk away from the car, and into a house that was not his own. I knew he had to be strong just to drive away, because I had to be strong to open the door and wobble my way up the stairs without bursting into tears. I kissed him, and watched him disappear over the hill. It's hard to watch someone you love, driving away from you. And I know I'll always want to grow up to be as strong as my dad.