STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Patriotism: You Don't Have to be a Citizen

Collins
What does it mean to be American? Is it supporting every decision our government makes? Knowing the words to the national anthem? Maybe, but most of all I believe that being American, or being patriotic, is advancing the future of your country, because the future is all we have. Perhaps you think going to war is a bad idea, or maybe you weren’t born here at all. Still, you can enrich the future of your country. Even if you aren’t a typical all-American, you can be a patriot.

My mother is patriotic. She keeps up with politics and discusses what she thinks is best for the country. Since my siblings and I were tiny, we’ve all discussed upcoming political elections and new laws. She made us comfortable considering serious ideas about our country, even as children. My mother has instilled honesty and hard work into all three of us, morals that can only be considered American. Her favorite phrase is “Go try it again,” and we all know how to give our best effort. Our house is a safe place to learn, talk, and make mistakes. Most importantly, she is an impactful teacher. My mom teaches ten-year-olds about America’s history. She leads a classroom of fifth-graders in the flag salute and shows them how to work hard. Hundreds of students have sat in her classroom and been led by my mother’s example. My mother loves the country in which she lives, and it shows.

However, my mother can’t vote. She wasn’t born in America. In fact, she’s not a citizen at all. By many definitions, my mother is definitely not American. Yet she is. Her family brought her to California to give her an opportunity for education, so she learned the importance of this education and grew up to pass this gift on to kids. It doesn’t matter that her passport says “Canada”, or that she can’t vote on Election Day. My mother is American because being American means enriching the future of her country, and the children she teaches are the future. All of those hundreds of fifth-graders who learned not only about history, but about the importance of voicing your opinions, helping others, and working hard, are the future.

Seeing my mother in action every day makes me proud of my country for allowing her to enrich the future. I am proud of my country because it allowed my mother, with her Green Card, to come and not only work in America but teach its children and add to its future. I appreciate the impact that our country makes by allowing non-citizens like my mother to educate her students about what it means to be American.

There are so many people who would argue that my mother is not a patriot because she is not American. Still, I know the impact of the lessons that she has taught me, and I know that she is a true patriot. For real patriotism, you don’t have to be a citizen.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

Thank you for your essay. I think your mother sounds like an amazing person and it's wonderful that she instilled the power of patriotism in you as well.

Posted: Monday, August 19, 2013 7:34:44 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy