STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Patriotism: Patriotism Is...

ShirleyM
Patriotism is saluting to the American flag that gallantly stands under the stormy night.
Patriotism is commemorating the soldiers who sacrifice their lives everyday to protect the democratic ideals and freedom granted to us.
Patriotism is respectfully saying “Thank you for your service” to someone in military uniform walking on the streets.
Patriotism is participating in elections and campaigns of those who represent us.
Patriotism is reciting the “Pledge of Allegiance” and national anthem by heart.
Patriotism is cherishing the United States Constitution and obeying the laws that govern us.
Patriotism is donating necessities to relief chapters to send to active soldiers.
Patriotism is being knowledgeable about the American government and history.
Patriotism is folding and distributing the poppy flower for remembrance of POW/MIA.
Patriotism is embracing the diversity and accepting our differences.
Patriotism is serving our country and expressing our willingness to sacrifice for it.
Patriotism is singing patriotic songs even when it is not the Fourth of July.
Patriotism is loving and standing up for your country.

Patriotism is when someone asks me what nationality I am and I look them in the eye and say “I’m a proud American.”

I had the honor of celebrating Independence Day with a group of talented and inspiring young women as part of the American Legion Auxiliary Empire Girls State Program. I had the valuable opportunity to learn about the American government and the political process. The program taught my peers and me about the democratic ideals that have laid the foundation of America and my role as an educated individual in this country. I participated in campaigns, debates, and bill drafting. According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary, “patriotism is love for or devotion to one’s country.” To me, patriotism means all that and much more. This program taught me that patriotism does not simply mean passively accepting American ideals. Rather, it is exercising our responsibility and duty as future leaders of the country to become actively involved in political decision making. We must protect and defend the freedom that many people have sacrificed their lives for, and to ensure that future generations will have the same rights and liberties. This program inspired me to be an empowered and patriotic individual who faithfully serves the country that has provided her with the freedom found nowhere else in the world. American ideals of autonomy have allowed and encouraged me to pursue my dreams and goals, giving me strength at every hurdle. In granting me “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness,” America is my safe haven that has armed me with the power to face and confront danger and discrimination in the fight for freedom and independence.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy