Patriotism: Patriotism Is...

ShirleyM
Patriotism is saluting to the American flag that gallantly stands under the stormy night.
Patriotism is commemorating the soldiers who sacrifice their lives everyday to protect the democratic ideals and freedom granted to us.
Patriotism is respectfully saying “Thank you for your service” to someone in military uniform walking on the streets.
Patriotism is participating in elections and campaigns of those who represent us.
Patriotism is reciting the “Pledge of Allegiance” and national anthem by heart.
Patriotism is cherishing the United States Constitution and obeying the laws that govern us.
Patriotism is donating necessities to relief chapters to send to active soldiers.
Patriotism is being knowledgeable about the American government and history.
Patriotism is folding and distributing the poppy flower for remembrance of POW/MIA.
Patriotism is embracing the diversity and accepting our differences.
Patriotism is serving our country and expressing our willingness to sacrifice for it.
Patriotism is singing patriotic songs even when it is not the Fourth of July.
Patriotism is loving and standing up for your country.

Patriotism is when someone asks me what nationality I am and I look them in the eye and say “I’m a proud American.”

I had the honor of celebrating Independence Day with a group of talented and inspiring young women as part of the American Legion Auxiliary Empire Girls State Program. I had the valuable opportunity to learn about the American government and the political process. The program taught my peers and me about the democratic ideals that have laid the foundation of America and my role as an educated individual in this country. I participated in campaigns, debates, and bill drafting. According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary, “patriotism is love for or devotion to one’s country.” To me, patriotism means all that and much more. This program taught me that patriotism does not simply mean passively accepting American ideals. Rather, it is exercising our responsibility and duty as future leaders of the country to become actively involved in political decision making. We must protect and defend the freedom that many people have sacrificed their lives for, and to ensure that future generations will have the same rights and liberties. This program inspired me to be an empowered and patriotic individual who faithfully serves the country that has provided her with the freedom found nowhere else in the world. American ideals of autonomy have allowed and encouraged me to pursue my dreams and goals, giving me strength at every hurdle. In granting me “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness,” America is my safe haven that has armed me with the power to face and confront danger and discrimination in the fight for freedom and independence.